Notices

T-minus 36 hours till rehab

Old 01-03-2018, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

T-minus 36 hours till rehab

Thoughts, advice? They said to pack two weeks worth of clothes. For me that is two suitcases plus a big duffel bag for toiletries, etc. I'm also bringing an ipod nano and a kindle for books that doesn't hook up to the internet. I'm an over packer, always, and will be doing the same here. Including a journal and a picture of my son (my inspiration).

What other "must haves" am I missing? My meds are coming as well as vitamins. Stamps/envelopes to communicate with my child and family. A calling card since cell phone are prohibited,

I'm the traveler that buys the extra weight for their luggage and I see a pattern occurring. I even packed a jump rope as I'd like to get back in shape. Better safe than sorry is my philosophy.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience that will help but I wish you well babescake

D
Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

great demonstration of willingness

willingness is the key

Old 01-03-2018, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I always struggle with packing too. I have started forcing myself to take things out after my initial pack for this reason.

I haven't been to rehab, but I would think comfortable clothes, good shoes for walks/hikes, warm socks, book and journal, picture of your son are all good things to bring. Can you call and see if they have a recommended packing list? I might also pack earplugs and an eye mask, if you have s roommate they may make falling asleep a little easier.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Change in case you have to use a pay phone (that's really old school but we did).

They probably have a gym. As well as activities. There was softball and walks. Unfortunately the muscles in my legs were so weak I couldn't really do them. By the end I felt better. Yoga good.

Snack food. Whatever makes you comfortable and keeps. Food is plentiful and fattening. You will feel so much better eating regularly if you haven't been.

You will alternate from busy as hell to excruciating boredom. Tons of gossip. Possible drugs, some manage to smuggle them in. People there on court order really could care less.

I was a rehab virgin, and was surprised by how sick people were. Not just alcoholics. Lots of heroin, meth and coke. Even one dude on PCP. Even if you think you know all about illegal drugs, you will learn a ton more, as well as how to deal drugs, what jail is like, how to commit crimes and get away with them (or not), mental illness, 5150s/psychiatric holds. And deep, deep bottoms.

Many people have done many rounds of inpatient, and most of your compatriots will probably relapse within 6 months of getting out. Some will probably die. Start right now on planning how not to be one of them. Give it your all, listen, participate. You're not above anything. Nobody is.

You will be humbled beyond what you can imagine. This is a good thing.

You may feel a bit overwhelmed by the outside world when you leave. A lot of people go to sober living. I did not, but I did continue with an Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP). The inpatient rehab was 12 Step based, the outpatient was dual diagnosis cognitive group based. Both were life changing. Again in a good way.

Give it your all. It sounds dismal, but believe it or not I actually liked my time in inpatient and found it absolutely fascinating. Still not an experience I'd like to repeat.

I hope you feel the same way in 6 weeks or so. Good luck.

Really, it's fascinating. I write, and it gave me a ton of material. If you haven't watched Drew Pinsky's Rehab and Celebrity Rehab it's pretty accurate.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you...sounds like you've got it covered and more. Rather have too much than not enough. You want to be comfortable. I've been twice we were allowed to bring pillow & comforter. So glad I did. Also we had a gym so lululemons and runners. No internet. Good book. Laundry soap, bounce. Hopefully they gave you a what/what not list. Jujubes licorice whatever kinda treat. And when you walk into the Centre if you're anything like me you may want to turn around and leave. Stay the course.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck babescake,

I would say pack for a three day weekend then take half of that.

Take full advantage of this opportunity. As someone else said, go with the willingness to try anything. You are saving your life and gaining a fresh start. Sobriety is so amazing that I hope you discover soon.

The gossip, manipulative behavior and bullying that goes on in these settings are very toxic. Do your best to remember your goal and your reason for being there.

Many prayers
Old 01-03-2018, 11:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How about a journal / diary, so you can read back over the experience when you get out? You might find it useful in time
Old 01-04-2018, 01:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What other "must haves" am I missing?
no expectations.
an open mind.
a willingness to do whatever is necessary to recover.
hope.
faith.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

They will go thru you things and take away some things that may cause harm so be prepared to hand over your jump rope, drawstrings, and shoelaces! Not sure if they allow glass bottles and pills without further inspection.I would pack lighter. They should get you anything you might need. Just pack comfortable clothes and maybe a nice outfit. I wish you well. Go with an open mind.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mr

If it's just a two week then the most important is pj's and slippers. And everything tomsteve said.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No, the program is at least a month, but they said to pack two weeks worth of clothes. Ya'll are starting to scare me with the "gossip and toxicity." I really want to connect with some people when I'm there and I've never touched a drug beyond alcohol in my life. I'll need some emotional support. I have an upper middle-class background so this will definitely be out of my element. I'll be the one gossiped about probably as I'm a wreck emotionally and will cry every day.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
What other "must haves" am I missing?
no expectations.
an open mind.
a willingness to do whatever is necessary to recover.
hope.
faith.
No experience..
But this is golden.

Best to you and be well.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babescake View Post
No, the program is at least a month, but they said to pack two weeks worth of clothes. Ya'll are starting to scare me with the "gossip and toxicity." I really want to connect with some people when I'm there and I've never touched a drug beyond alcohol in my life. I'll need some emotional support. I have an upper middle-class background so this will definitely be out of my element. I'll be the one gossiped about probably as I'm a wreck emotionally and will cry every day.
As my grandmother used to say, "don't borrow trouble"
Keep positive and realize addiction is something across social class.

We're all human, and kindness will beget kindness.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Would a small fan be acceptable for white noise of a roommate? Sleep is super hard for me as it is (I have a sleep disorder and on meds since teen years for it) and I am trying to be as comfortable as possible.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
If it's just a two week then the most important is pj's and slippers. And everything tomsteve said.
And a robe.

Flip flops for the shower.
There will be good people there, and the "gossip and toxicity" is not a given. Neither is drug use, that depends on your rehab itself. My friend Jenn and I were each other's rock. She was the first person that I met.

I'm also from an upper middle class background. You learn to deal with it. You also realize that addiction doesn't care about your background.

Trust me, you won't be the only one crying every day. It's not an easy time and people are coming off of various substances.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thoughts, advice? They said to pack two weeks worth of clothes. For me that is two suitcases plus a big duffel bag for toiletries, etc. I'm also bringing an ipod nano and a kindle for books that doesn't hook up to the internet. I'm an over packer, always, and will be doing the same here. Including a journal and a picture of my son (my inspiration).

What other "must haves" am I missing? My meds are coming as well as vitamins. Stamps/envelopes to communicate with my child and family. A calling card since cell phone are prohibited,

I'm the traveler that buys the extra weight for their luggage and I see a pattern occurring. I even packed a jump rope as I'd like to get back in shape. Better safe than sorry is my philosophy.
Depending on the facility, you may want to take a little cash -- when I went 2 years ago they let us chip in on pizza on Saturday nights, which was nice since the normal food was nothing to write home about. There also may be snack/drink machines...and laundry money. Any money you bring in will likely be held by the facility for your security. We were only allowed to possess on our person I think $20 at a time. The facility I went to would not allow anyone to bring any food in except one guy who had celiac disease and brought some gluten free snacks. Don't forget soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. -- Though note that these will probably be inspected for contraband. Hope this helps, good luck you, rehab certainly changed my life for the better.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Babes, haven't been to rehab, but do have packing issues. I overpack, then keep editing down and then don't have enough clothes! Always the robe, slippers, earplugs, eyemask make the cut along with extra pjs. Yeah, sleep is the main concern!

I haven't read any posts here from people wishing they had not gone to rehab. You are taking a brave step and I'm sure will make the most of it!!
Old 01-04-2018, 08:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think the main problem here is that there will be people at most facilities that don't "want" to be there ...they are doing it to avoid legal and/or family consequences. But my experience was that they can be pretty easily avoided/ignored.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm there because I want to be there. I've lost a lot in my life already and face a difficult road even after. However, what scares me is that I'm already mourning the social aspect of drinking. Since I don't drink every day and they aren't making me do a detox (though I'm sure I'll have the typical symptoms of fatigue or increased appetite, etc. as I heal), I'm already grieving not just having a drink while out with friends or something.

I did most of my drinking at home alone. I kept it pretty together in public, so trying to rationalize I could still do that is a problem for me. I hope that is normal and will get better with time. Then I start doubting myself that I want it enough. But that is probably the AV trying to prevent me from going. I understand fully well the consequences and I'm quite educated on the topic. I just don't trust myself not to drink while going through therapy if I have easy access, thus wanting an inpatient to get a reprieve from the capability of driving to the store after IOP, which I tried a few years ago.

The "you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink" always makes me doubt myself. I know I'm sick of feeling sh*tty and hurting myself and my family, but it is still hard to not want to drink for the pleasurable aspects (that brief period of time). Are these normal feelings and do they subside with abstinence?