Notices

Herbal supplements

Old 12-30-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Herbal supplements

Hello lovely people hope you all had a fab Xmas.Question about kalms A) is it ok to take?B) did it work or not work for you? C) A good herbal tea that tastes nice? Anxiety is still having a party in my head otherwise doing ok.3 Weeks sober kinda proud of myself zero desire to drink just to live x
Old 12-30-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Livlib...well done on 3 weeks 😊

I also struggle at times with anxiety. I find chamomile tea calming. I've also just completed 30 sessions of guided meditations for anxiety on Headspace the mindfulness app, and my relationship with anxiety has definately improved. Wishing you well on your recovery journey 💜
Old 12-30-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure what kalms is?

I use Nighty-Night tea from Celestial Seasonings.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always feel it's best to check with your doctor, or at least your pharmacist before starting any supplements - especially if you're on any kind of medication or have any chronic health issues.

D
Old 12-30-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I tried Sleepytime Tea by Celestial Seasoning.

Smelled/tasted good.

However...

being an addict(!)

I was in the habit of making it 4 times as strong in search of that buzz!
Old 12-30-2017, 11:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kalms are fine. You don't need a prescription and are available off the shelf in the UK. They are a natural remedy that are supposed to ease sleep and calm nerves (hence the name). My mum swears by them as she suffers panic attacks.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Even the most natural supplements available in supermarkets may not be suitable for everyone, tho... and this is reflected in our medical advice rule:

Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals
thanks,

Dee
SR
Old 12-30-2017, 11:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Even the most natural supplements available in supermarkets may not be suitable for everyone, tho... and this is reflected in our medical advice rule:

thanks,

Dee
SR
Apologies - feel free to edit my post Dee (not that you need my permission!)
Old 12-31-2017, 12:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

'sall good Tony

D
Old 12-31-2017, 01:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nova84 View Post
Hi Livlib...well done on 3 weeks 😊

I also struggle at times with anxiety. I find chamomile tea calming. I've also just completed 30 sessions of guided meditations for anxiety on Headspace the mindfulness app, and my relationship with anxiety has definately improved. Wishing you well on your recovery journey 💜
Thank you I’ll give that tea a try 👍🏻
Old 12-31-2017, 01:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Kalms are fine. You don't need a prescription and are available off the shelf in the UK. They are a natural remedy that are supposed to ease sleep and calm nerves (hence the name). My mum swears by them as she suffers panic attacks.
Thank you I’ve taken some,wow I’m so surprised that they work feel so relaxed and calm here’s to a day of normality 👍🏻
Old 12-31-2017, 01:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No meds

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I always feel it's best to check with your doctor, or at least your pharmacist before starting any supplements - especially if you're on any kind of medication or have any chronic health issues.

D
I asked the pharmacist and he recommended these Just was wary as ethanol is used to extract the root but he said is hardly a viable amount.Thanks Dee sorry didn’t see the herbal advice warning will take note for future posts.👍🏻
Old 12-31-2017, 03:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Liv,

It seemed initially, I was so mentally fatigued from paranoia and anxiety I was exhausted all the time.

I couldn't sleep for months...off and on. But, 1 hour of sober sleep is better then 12 of drunken sleep.

I also told myself that laying quietly, focusing only on breathing, Sandy beaches, pupppies, grassy meadows etc. is getting me the rest I needed to survive the torture of healing.

So horrible.

As the days passed I healed to this state. A better place. But, I am still healing. I call it my PAWS. I may be healing for the rest of my life.

Something to look forward to for 2018. Getting better each day.

During my week off now during the holidays I found myself doing the usual obsessing over things I can't really control.

The emotional thoughts seem to wave in as soon as I'm awake. I work to quell them with definitive, concrete, and personally responsible analysis.

It works.

I am constantly reminding myself to live in the now. Let the past go. Don't have preoccupation about the future.

I am making progress.

This is the long term lack of growth caused by years and years of alcohol abuse. I will go out on a limb and say...alcohol use.

Booze is poison.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
I looked for them in Greece at parmacy ... No luck... Mum is sending some from the uk now to wait on the Greek postal service
Old 12-31-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I talk calm, a magnesium supplement every day and it does work very well. Not sure if it's available outside of the US.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Chamomile tea works really well for me - I think the tea that Anna mentioned has that already. I've found that mindfulness exercises (e.g. Headspace) and guided abdominal breathing are also essential to staying grounded/centered during periods of acute anxiety etc...