Notices

Alcoholic Stepmom

Old 12-28-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic Stepmom

Hi. My step mom was recently diagnosed with cirrhosis and continues to drink. I’ve watched her literally waste away over the past few Years. My dad is scared to do anything drastic because she threatens to leave him. He is her care taker and enabler. I’m crushed because she and I used to be close and now I can’t stand to be around her. Her eyes and skin are so yellow I’ve never see anything like it in my life. I can’t understand how she can keep ordering wine at the restaurant knowing that she is literally killing herself. She’s had her stomach pumped already from the fluid build up. She won’t see a doctor and won’t get help. I’m so angry and trying to sort out my feelings because I know it’s a terrible disease but I’m having trouble finding any empathy. She’s ruined relationships with my dad over this the past several years and now it’s just the two of them. I would really like to connect with people going through something similar.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Tgonco.
Welcome to SR.
You will find lots of support here.
My addict sib seems pretty sick to me.
But..we can’t know because he won’t go to a doctor.
Sometimes people are ruled by their addictions and there isn’t a thing we can do.
I too struggle with resentment and anger.
All. The. Time.
Al-Anon helps me with that, to a degree.
You might consider going to some Al-Anon meetings.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a family friend get diagnosed with cirrhosis at 62. She continued to drink despite everyone trying to help her. She passed away 6 months later. Terrible disease.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

My father died from cirrhosis. The last time I saw him before hospitalization, he was yellow and bloated and couldn't keep anything on his stomach. He wouldn't go to the hospital because he didn't want the neighbors to see him leave in an ambulance.

He died at the age of 58. Alcohol addiction is a horrible way to die.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I have no experience with alcoholic family members as I was the alcoholic in my family.

We have a friends and family forum you might like too. Lots of insight from people who are in similar situations.

I too would suggest AlAnon meetings for you. You need the support.