What do you get a thief?

Old 12-13-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you get a thief?

When someone you love is an alcoholic/addict, has stolen and abused your trust, time and again, has stolen dreams, plans, time, expectations, life as you knew it... and possibly money or other material items... or took valuables, broke them, never really apologized or replaced them...

How do you separate the illness from the person?

How do you love, with no strings, with detachment, without expectations?

This year, I'm looking for an inexpensive gift that's fun, that isn't needed, that I'll enjoy buying, wrapping and giving. I'll give brightness, love, and probably some tears as I wrap it. Looking for a gift I haven't given in the past. No more photos... no clothes... and nothing with big price tags -- financially or emotionally. No games, no candy, no hobby related items... just ... something, wrapped with love.

One day at a time. Asking God for guidance.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Homemade cookies?
:-)
Old 12-13-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow...I'm lost on that one. Gloves? Scarf? A book?
Old 12-13-2017, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

keepingthefaith
“How do you separate the illness from the person?”
Excellent question!
Following this for sure, I don’t have any ideas! 🙁
Old 12-13-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

has stolen and abused your trust, time and again, has stolen dreams, plans, time, expectations, life as you knew it... and possibly money or other material items... or took valuables, broke them, never really apologized or replaced them...
Nothing. I spend the money on myself.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i can't imagine gifting someone who has mistreated me. but then again, i also wouldn't be spending christmas with them.

the ILLNESS of addiction drives the addict to USE. it does not make them or force them to be despicable, hostile, abusive individuals. it does not cause them to cheat. or to destroy finances, dishes, furniture, or self esteem. no one gets a pass on bad behavior because they happen to be addicts.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Divorce papers?
Old 12-13-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm not doing that.

I am going to charge our joint account for the sneakers my daughter asked for though, since there hasn't been even a passing mention of him having any concern about giving her a Christmas gift.

Well, he's giving her $75 Adidas sneakers. From me.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh boy, addicts and presents - difficult topic.

Last year my own family no less! coerced me into baking cookies for XAH and his family. "Nata, be nice", said my mom. Ugh. She tried to make me bake him a cake for his Birthday in May - I shut that one down.

This year - there is a small unique gift from DS. I am not buying anything or baking anything. Ex MIL sent me a gift - I may have to send her something.....

Please don't feel like you have to do anything. I would definitely not pour my soul into a gift for someone who mistreated me IMO.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

My AH hated gifts because he wanted the money instead. I gave him small things that he could use, because I didn't have much money myself, as I was paying for everything we needed to live. Sometimes I would find the gifts I gave him neglected or in the trash. After we separated I discovered that he attached no value to anything I gave him, including my time and love.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ah...that's a tough one. I buy something for my XAH and his witchy wife yearly for my kids to give to them. I try to use coupons if I have them, or sometimes I have Kohls cash (I am just remembering I have this now). It's a lot to suck up, but I remember that I am doing this for my kids, not for them.

I think last year it was some shower gel type stuff for her, and a piece of jewelry that was engraved for him. Ugh.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nata1980 View Post
Oh boy, addicts and presents - difficult topic.

Last year my own family no less! coerced me into baking cookies for XAH and his family. "Nata, be nice", said my mom. Ugh. She tried to make me bake him a cake for his Birthday in May - I shut that one down.

This year - there is a small unique gift from DS. I am not buying anything or baking anything. Ex MIL sent me a gift - I may have to send her something.....

Please don't feel like you have to do anything. I would definitely not pour my soul into a gift for someone who mistreated me IMO.
This spurs a question in me - has anyone had their addict try to win them back by giving gifts?

I stopped in to the apartment the other day to check on the cats and grab some stuff and there was a card there for me. I wasn't going to read it, but of course I did. Just flowery ********, nothing that really mattered, but it was still annoying.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Ah...that's a tough one. I buy something for my XAH and his witchy wife yearly for my kids to give to them. I try to use coupons if I have them, or sometimes I have Kohls cash (I am just remembering I have this now). It's a lot to suck up, but I remember that I am doing this for my kids, not for them.

I think last year it was some shower gel type stuff for her, and a piece of jewelry that was engraved for him. Ugh.
Man you're a lot stronger than I would be. The thought of giving any of my exes a gift gives me pre-cursor stroke symptoms!
Old 12-14-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I won't tell a tale, it is hard. I keep remembering that it's for my kids.

Originally Posted by Hangnbyathread View Post
Man you're a lot stronger than I would be. The thought of giving any of my exes a gift gives me pre-cursor stroke symptoms!
Old 12-14-2017, 08:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

An aa book along with a pamphlet of local meeting
Old 12-15-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"How do you separate the illness from the person?

How do you love, with no strings, with detachment, without expectations?"

Came back to prayer, meditation and letting this be beyond me.

I then easily found three items that are now wrapped with festive, fun paper, bows and love. I don't need to know why. It simply felt right.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A personally written letter. Not a card, but a letter.

Originally Posted by keepingthefaith View Post
When someone you love is an alcoholic/addict, has stolen and abused your trust, time and again, has stolen dreams, plans, time, expectations, life as you knew it... and possibly money or other material items... or took valuables, broke them, never really apologized or replaced them...

How do you separate the illness from the person?

How do you love, with no strings, with detachment, without expectations?

This year, I'm looking for an inexpensive gift that's fun, that isn't needed, that I'll enjoy buying, wrapping and giving. I'll give brightness, love, and probably some tears as I wrap it. Looking for a gift I haven't given in the past. No more photos... no clothes... and nothing with big price tags -- financially or emotionally. No games, no candy, no hobby related items... just ... something, wrapped with love.

One day at a time. Asking God for guidance.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by glenl View Post
This spurs a question in me - has anyone had their addict try to win them back by giving gifts?

I stopped in to the apartment the other day to check on the cats and grab some stuff and there was a card there for me. I wasn't going to read it, but of course I did. Just flowery ********, nothing that really mattered, but it was still annoying.
Not sure - but XAH was sure very generous last Christmas. Bought DS and me all kinds of stuff (for the first time ever lol), including stuff I wanted last Christmas before separation, but obviously he was too high to remember. I bought him $5 pillow with Kohls cash (seems to be the theme). Must have come in handy - his head is nailed to that pillow every time he Skypes DS.

XAH also started wearing all the knit sweaters I ever made him, almost exclusively and obsessively last Christmas season (never worn them before although they were stylish awesome sweaters) and announced to everyone who would listen than his ex wife made it for him, and call me and let me know my sweaters are being complimented on.

I can't even....at least my work was not a complete waste after all haha. I guess....
Old 12-17-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Personally I am getting a toy duck only I know what that means and it makes me laugh.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by viola71 View Post
Personally I am getting a toy duck only I know what that means and it makes me laugh.
Excellent