Notices

Keeping Count

Old 12-09-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keeping Count

I keep records of my drinking. I'm not sure if I'm alone in this or not?

I suppose - to be more accurate I really keep records of when I'm sober - I just then have to do the subtraction to get to the answer around how many days I have drank alcohol.

337 days have elapsed in the year so far
246 days I drank alcohol (about 2.5 bottles of wine a day on average) = 615 bottles of wine consumed in 2017
91 days sober (which happened in only 8 stints of 5, 25, 23, 2, 25, 3, 1, *7 days)

* = current attempt and ongoing.

Dreadful.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

At about £5 a bottle that's over £3,000.

What would you do with that money?

Don't get me wrong, I've wasted loads on drink over the years. No more though.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I could have bought a vacation home with the money I wasted on this poison. I try not to dwell on the past, but sometimes it helps when the AV acts up.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post

* = current attempt and ongoing.
that could be the major problem youre having- recovery/sobriety isnt something we attempt.
its something we DO.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
that could be the major problem youre having- recovery/sobriety isnt something we attempt.
its something we DO.
I'm sure it's something you attempted many times before you finally did it tomsteve?

I'm trying to make this the time I do it.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sure it's something you attempted many times before you finally did it tomsteve?

I'm trying to make this the time I do it.

Thanks.
no, i never attempted recovery.
i have been DOING recovery- as in the actions involved after i put down the bottle, fora while now,though.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
no, i never attempted recovery.
i have been DOING recovery- as in the actions involved after i put down the bottle, fora while now,though.
I'm pleased for you. You've been a huge help.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was on and off the wagon I kept counts like that. The last time I got back on the wagon I actually didn't count days or weeks or months sober until I was past the four month mark. After failing three times after two months the realization of how long that two months is terrified me. These days I look forward to the 9th of each month.

For what it's worth I only drank for 3 1/2 weeks in the last year! Come february 9th I'll be able to notch a year in my belt.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi JustTony,

I've found that my goal of not drinking has been made much easier by combining it with a goal of saving money. Every day I now feel like I did something positive by not buying alcohol, instead of just "not doing something negative".

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think many of us have counted days/weeks/months until we got tired of counting days/weeks/months. I did. now all I recognize is my monthly anniversary date. (11th) and I am gratefull for that. for many counting everyday everyday works for them. neither is better than the other. just don't pick up a drink today is all that matters.

not trying to criticize but your method of counting sounds like a system of trying to control/moderate your drinking?
Old 12-09-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by markinny View Post
I think many of us have counted days/weeks/months until we got tired of counting days/weeks/months. I did. now all I recognize is my monthly anniversary date. (11th) and I am gratefull for that. for many counting everyday everyday works for them. neither is better than the other. just don't pick up a drink today is all that matters.

not trying to criticize but your method of counting sounds like a system of trying to control/moderate your drinking?
A few people have suggested the money angle and also the fact that they no longer count each days (having suffered multiple relapses) but think in terms of months. I can see how positive a mind set this is and I'll really look at that. It seems so brave to think in terms of weeks, let alone months, but hey - new ideas... don;t discount things that people have said work for them (and I wont).

I'm not using this as a tactic (daily counting) in an attempt to moderate (maybe when I started keeping records seven years ago it was?) it's just what I do when I try and live clean. I really do want to be alcohol free forever. I've told everyone I know that I cannot moderate - the idea is useless for me to even try any more. I'm fully cooked. I wont change in that respect and I know it.

The money thing is another angle I haven't really looked at and I guess that's useful and I'll add it to my kit bag of tools to help me along.

PS - The thread was about wasted time and putting ones drinking into perspective/numbers. I found my drinking fairly horrifying (in numbers) - plus it helped me spend 15 minutes of 'traditional drinking time' on a Saturday night doing something else!

Regards,

JT
Old 12-09-2017, 11:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not using this as a tactic (daily counting) in an attempt to moderate
I've told everyone I know that I cannot moderate - the idea is useless for me to even try any more. I'm fully cooked. I wont change in that respect and I know it.
Follow your own advice JT. The end of the hell is right in front of you, go for it
Old 12-10-2017, 02:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Absolutely agree with tomsteve. I quit ONCE. I was just done.

And I count days- that I have been sober since that day one. Actually, I just jotted a note in my dayplanner: today is 656. Why on earth count days I used to drink - or ones during an "attempt" that needs to be a permanent plan?

That may come off as harsh in a thread post- my intent is to emphasis this is a "do" scenario.

It's also "do or die" for us - some of us quickly (me), some slowly - and IME we don't get infinite chances to get sober. You have one now- fortunately.

What plan are you following to stay sober- and live in recovery, beyond that? IME and watching others - a plan of action (mine is AA) is critical.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Tony, don’t be too hard on yourself, too much looking back or beating yourself up about what hasn’t happened can be good as a one off if it spurs you on but please done dwell.

The only important thing is that you are sober today and you can commit to the work involved in a sober future.

To hell with the past and any relapses, leave it there.
All the best to you
Old 12-10-2017, 04:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Silverback.

As I said I was partly wasting 15 minutes on a Saturday night reviewing my notes.

As for the posters on here that just quit once and were DONE forever then all I can say is that I commend and congratulate you. I'm not that confident in myself but, that doesn't mean I'm not trying.

If words like "try", "attempt", "dream" etc. somehow irritate or seem too weak then please find someone of a higher emotional fortitude than me to post at.

Regards,

JT
Old 12-10-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hesitate to post because I know I've annoyed you ion the past, but I think you've hit on an important point, Tony.

I remember when I was starting off I had no confidence I could make it 'forever' but one day at a time seemed just about feasible.

Then, after I had a string of days behind me, forever started to seem possible.

Now? I know I will die sober.

If I can share just one thing with people - it's that real lasting change really is possible - no matter how many times you've tried before or how doubtful you might feel right now about your ability to maintain this.

Do it one day at a time for a while if you have to, but dream of forever

D