Damage

Old 12-08-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Damage

Weekends are when I miss my cocaine addict, ex boyfriend the most. He left me for a woman who uses coke too.
My question is, do cocaine addicts ever realise the hurt and damage they cause to people when they're not high on coke? Do they realise but block it out? Do their brains even still work the same way? He's used at least every week for, I'd say 11 years altogether. Can coke damage your thought process so much?? Any thoughts or experience on this welcome.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Any drug can have lasting effects on the brain.
Some people use to not think about those they hurt, some don't care, some will better themselves and some won't. It all just really depends.

I would suggest focusing more on YOU and less on HIM and what he thinks or is doing. That is not a healthy cycle and will leave you in madness.

Do something for yourself this weekend, something you enjoy!
Old 12-08-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sarah, i know you are trying to make sense of it all, but asking the same question with different wording isn't going to GET you to the magic answer.

any long term drug use is going to have an affect on the user. some of that is physical, some mental. but as had been said before, and what you will see over hundreds of posts is that not ALL bad behavior can be attributed solely to the drug use. people can be jerks, with or without drugs.

we know he wasn't one day Mr. Perfect and the very next Mr. Cokehead hooking up with another user. chances are quite good that they had a "relationship" of some sort well before he finally broke things off with you. his level of drug use and addiction now compel him to want to be around others of his "own kind" where he doesn't have to try and pretend to be someone he is not.

his behavior towards you was not always nice....he wasn't always present, he was sometimes cold and distant or unreachable. his changes were not sudden or even that dramatic......addiction is progressive and so is the change in the addict. it just finally reached a boiling point.

bottom line....he left and is with someone else now. take the drugs out of it for a minute and you STILL have the same result. it happens ALL the time.