Notices

Sober Day 8

Old 12-06-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Day 8

Hi there!
This is Day 8 for me not drinking..the first 3 days were terrible- hot flashes, body aches, night sweats, very bad anxiety, etc. Day 4 I was able to sleep as well as Day 5..no night sweats..The night before last, i did not sleep at all...laid in bed all day yesterday..took some melatonin last night (1st time ever)..slept very little..night sweats again...makes me nervous not sleeping much and the night sweats..any advice would be awesome!!
Old 12-06-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 days.
I’m afraid I might come up a little short on the advice front but for me the only thing that helped level everything out in the first few weeks was giving it the time and sticking with it.

I didn’t get a proper restful nights sleep until after my first month.
Once the anxiety and dread lifted following the first 10 days or so I was hit with raging insomnia and when I did sleep the dreams were bizarre to say the least.

Nearly at the 3 month point now and things are better. I can listen to and trust my body when it is telling me that I am tired and to sleep and the quality of the sleep I get is far better.
Sleep just interfered with my drinking time previously.

Stick with it, hopefully you are past the worst of the first few days and the ones to come will get better and better.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I forgot to give you a warm welcome, sorry. Noticed it was your first post.

WELCOME
Old 12-06-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on eight days, that's great. And welcome to the forums , you'll find a lot of support here.
Don't have much advice about your symptoms. Maybe drink some electrolytes before bed?
Keep at it things may resolve themselves.
It's great to have you here.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Re

Thanks guys! I have been keeping myself busy. I just began a book...not much of a reader..only read textbooks for college because i had to. Oddly enough, the words in the book i can actually follow today..vs all of the words being jumbled together. I am having to retrain myself as to what "normal," people do! Clearly it is not drinking. I guess alot of new emotions are beginning to surface for me. I know I have a long way to go.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, you may have a long way to go, but you'll get there one day at a time.
That's the way I look ay it anyway. And live it.
Looking at forever, or never. is too much for me. Just for today. It's been working for me for almost seven years now.
I hope you find many new things in your sobriety. I love to read, too.
Best to you.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sobriety2018 View Post
I know I have a long way to go.
A long way to go is what I'm aiming for

For now, hydrate, eat healthy, and definitely look at new ways to fill the time. Maybe revisit an old hobby? It won't take long before the days are as full as ever, but boredom is something to be aware of.

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-06-2017, 08:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcoem sobreity 2018
for me the insomnia thing just had to be worked through 0- I slept a little better each night until I was pretty much into a new rhythm but day 10 or so. Some ppl take a little shorter, and others longer.

I didn't take any meds.

If you're really concerned see a Dr maybe? otherwise, I hope things settle down soon, Give it a little time

D
Old 12-06-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 8 days sober. I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are so close to everything getting better!!! Well, physically anyways. And sleep-wise. I know the first time I get a good nights sleep after a detox and wow, it's just amazing. It is gonna come for you, soon. Have you tried looking up "sleep hypnosis" on youtube and giving it a listen? or guided meditations?
I found those can really help with the falling asleep part, as it gives me a voice to listen to (instead of the one in my own head)

Also listening to the sound of rain on youtube calms me down and often helps me drift to sleep.

Those are my suggestions. Keep plugging away - right here with ya at about 2.5 weeks myself!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mrrryahj View Post
You are so close to everything getting better!!! Well, physically anyways. And sleep-wise. I know the first time I get a good nights sleep after a detox and wow, it's just amazing. It is gonna come for you, soon. Have you tried looking up "sleep hypnosis" on youtube and giving it a listen? or guided meditations?
I found those can really help with the falling asleep part, as it gives me a voice to listen to (instead of the one in my own head)

Also listening to the sound of rain on youtube calms me down and often helps me drift to sleep.

Those are my suggestions. Keep plugging away - right here with ya at about 2.5 weeks myself!
Thanks! I will def do the rain suggestion! Last night was a bit easier..i read for half an hr, then turned all the lights out. I slept for may 4 and a half hours and was wide awake at 3:30 am..uggh..but ill take it. Ive felt pretty good physically today!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How are you at 2 and a half weeks?