Notices

A Thanksgiving Message

Old 11-22-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Thanksgiving Message

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving to all Americans who partake in this celebration.
What is Thanksgiving? Well, it’s not what it was some years ago, but still many of the same sentiments are involved. As with pretty much all holidays, it has become a capitalist’s opportunity. But Thanksgiving above all has become an excuse to practice gluttony. In fact gluttony is promoted on Thanksgiving. It is encouraged! Along with that – and Christmas – comes the unending promotion of drinking. What kind of wine to have with turkey? Both of course. What kind of beer, alcohol in general is thrust in people’s faces during the holidays? Television ads are loaded with alcohol, and showing everyone having a good time enjoying ‘brand x’. Football games have become beer commercials surrounding 18 minutes of actual football. There is actually more time spent watching ads than watching actual football being played.
Be on your guard. Don’t let someone tell you “just one” is okay. We know it doesn’t work that way. I’ve drunk to a toast with a glass of water. You also can drink to ‘something’ with a non-alcoholic drink.
And don’t be tricked into drinking something you have no idea what’s in it. All types of concoctions are mixed up and served to unsuspecting guests.
Enjoy Thanksgiving, eat responsibly, and don’t fall into the alcohol trap. Drink responsibly too, for me that means making sure I take my own bottles of fizzy water along wherever I go.

And remember, "I" am thankful that I finally got sober and stayed sober. If it's only one thing this year, be thankful for being sober.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm thinking of putting up my tree tomorrow with my little mandolin-playing angel ornament.

Have a great sober Turkey day, LB.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Lbrain for the much needed inspiration.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Thank you.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving, too!
Old 11-22-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-22-2017, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wise words, LBrain.

Thank you.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good post, LBrain! Holidays have kind of become distorted out of their true meaning nowadays. I am an atheist but I like the winter holidays, Thanksgiving and Xmas. Historically (from what I have researched) winter festivals had roots in the grimness of life in ancient times. With the long winter ahead everyone knew that not everyone would survive it, so they gathered family and celebrated the chance they had to be together.

I also think that, despite our best efforts, no one can be "good" or inspired all the time. We kind of need to pick our spots. Hence the holidays. Maybe we don't display good will towards mankind every day but maybe we can manage it for a month.

This was kind of a wearying Thanksgiving for me. I drove three hours to spend it with my brother who was otherwise spending it alone due to the rest of the family having to travel out of state. There was a bit of a family emergency and since he just started a new job he didn't have enough seniority to get the days off around Thanksgiving. And I have to work Friday so it was three hours back tonite. I'm a pretty positive person overall but on occasion I have a day that makes me question my standard belief that everyone will end up alright, and today was one of those days.