Notices

Day 7

Old 11-18-2017, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7

Today is my 7th day of sobriety. To say it's been a hard week is an understatement. Honestly I can believe I'm even posting, but like they say write it down, it can't hurt. Well my back story is I've been drinking for at least 10 years, but very heavily over the last few. Last weekend my girlfriend broke uip with me after the way I acted while black out drunk, no excuses but I couldn't remember a thing. This is not a normal thing for me but id drank all day on an empty stomach for veterans day. When I woke up the next morning and heard all about the terrible way I acted, i decided it would be the last time I acted that way. I have been sober since, and 2 days later my dog who I've had 17 years died. Dealing with loss and a flood of emotions without alcohol is a hard foreign thing to me, but I will never feel that way again and the only way is to stay sober. So far the hardest thing is the racing thoughts as I'm pretty anxious in general, but I am thankful to be going in the right direction. A week of 3 losses, my girlfriend, dog and alcohol. The only one that I'm happy about is the alcohol. That's my piece of mind. Much love and thanks for allowing me to post freely.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your losses. In the long run you'll be able to deal with those things better when you're sober – if you were drinking, you wouldn't be dealing with your losses, you'd just be drowning them and numbing yourself. All the best to you.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Girlinprogress View Post
... A week of 3 losses, my girlfriend, dog and alcohol.The only one that I'm happy about is the alcohol. That's my piece of mind. Much love and thanks for allowing me to post freely.
It was a week of two losses, not three — you gained sobriety.

One thing I’ve noticed in my sobriety thus far (day 145) is that I’m able to handle / absorb / deal with stressful situations better. I think it’s due to actually facing these issues instead of numbing them with alcohol.

I hope you will find the same.

One thing is for sure — your sobriety is important. And it’s something that YOU have complete control of.

I’m sorry to hear about your dog.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Girlinprogress, day 7 is just FANTASTIC, congratulations. I have 7 years of sobriety and I usually stay in the newcomers to recovery forum. It helps me remember the difficult struggle I went through. The life I have now is far better than when I was using. Rootin for ya.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know how this works I'm a few weeks out of open heart surgery with severe side effects due to alcohol withdrawal 30 days of nightmare's in a medically induced coma really need help haven't found anywhere yet please if u can read this please reply
Old 11-18-2017, 11:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome girlinprogress

thats sounds like a really bad week but it's really great that you've stayed sober - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 11-18-2017, 11:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jay just to let you know your other thread posted fine
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-help-me.html (Please help me)

D
Old 11-19-2017, 02:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CansOfOld View Post
It was a week of two losses, not three — you gained sobriety.
I like the positive here. Sorry for your two losses though OP.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Day 7 is fantastic! Sorry for your losses, but things will get better. Day 24 here and rooting for you! I give you a big virtual hug.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, GiP, lots of miscreants here who can identify. The good thing about setting a low bar is that it's easy to improve from there.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Girl,

Maybe you can relate...

Booze altered my dopamine production and changed how i cope.

Since quitting i needed a new way to find happiness. I chose exercising.

Coping w life is still new and tough. I am almost like a lost child at times.

I sometimes want to go primal and get angry, but i remember that it is not what is happening but rather how i am reacting to it.

In early sobriety i was a mess, at 8 months i was still obsessive as a loon.

Still today, i obsess. I am drug free though. I am leaning to deal w the world clean.

It took a long long time to get this clean and free. Relapse looms, w regret to follow.

Finally, i know i just have to weather the storm because it gets better by the moment.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for all the support, it's refreshing to have people that relate. Majority of my friends drink a lot and have no idea that I'm even newly sober. Between work and this week I've been quite a hermit. But I know I'm safe at work and home, but I must say it was bizarre going to the grocery store and not going to the alcohol isle. But as someone said, i didnt have 3 losses this week, only 2 because i gained sobriety. It is weird to think of never having a drink again in this life. Little steps I guess, anyway im looking forward to monday for the first time in a long time and man is that refreshing! Good vibes to all