Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism-12 Step Support
Reload this Page >

page 25of the B.B.. there is a solution. Man read at meeting!

Notices

Old 11-07-2017, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I started going to a new men’s meeting. Instead of reading how it works, the chair asks that someone read something out of the 164pages.. this gentleman read this and it was amazing.. I’ve read the chapter many many time..

Good stuff..

The alcoholic may say to himself in the most casual way, "It won't burn me this time, so here's how!" Or perhaps he doesn't think at all. How often have some of us begun to drink in this nonchalant way, and after the third or fourth, pounded on the bar and said to ourselves, "For God's sake, how did I ever get started again?" Only to have that thought supplanted by "Well, I'll stop with the sixth drink." Or "What's the use anyhow?"

When this sort of thinking is fully established in an individual with alcoholic tendencies, he has probably placed himself beyond human aid, and unless locked up, may die or go permanently insane. These stark and ugly facts have been confirmed by legions of

alcoholics throughout history. But for the grace of God, there would have been thousands more convincing demonstrations. So many want to stop but cannot.

There is a solution. Almost none of us liked the self-searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at our feet. We have found much of heaven and we have been rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed.

The great fact is just this, and nothing less: That we have had deep and effective spiritual experiences which have revolutionized our whole attitude toward life, toward our fellows and toward God's universe. The central fact of our lives today is the absolute certainty that our Creator has entered into our hearts and lives in a way which is indeed miraculous. He has commenced to accomplish those things for us which we could never do by ourselves.

If you are as seriously alcoholic as we were, we believe there is no middle-of-the-road solution. We were in a position where life was becoming impossible, and if we had passed into the region from which there is no return through human aid, we had but two alternatives: One was to go on to the bitter end, blotting out the consciousness of our intolerable situation as best we could; and the other, to accept spiritual help. This

we did because we honestly wanted to, and were willing to make the effort.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Powerful stuff Dave. A little more substantial than just don't drink and keep coming back. The last sentence makes a good point, true for me, "this we did because we honestly wanted to and were willing to make the effort"
Old 11-08-2017, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

great chapter Dave,and that reading is one of my favs

we did this because we honestly wanted too

that line means a lot,and if you have ever tried to sponsor someone who really didn`t want to do it,then it can be a mess.On the other hand ,when they do honestly want it,it turns out a lot better on everyone.
I cover that with people who ask me to sponsor them
Old 11-08-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
"this we did because we honestly wanted to and were willing to make the effort"
I totally agree Mike!!! Thanks for the note!! The way this gentleman read it gave me goose bumps!! Beautiful, wanted to share with our group!!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Beautiful.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks dave!