Notices

I am done with cigarettes

Old 10-29-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am done with cigarettes

30 October 2017 is day one of my quit. I am currently 28 months sober and I'm feeling confident in my sobriety. When I first tried to get sober I quit smoking for nine months and then started again. For the past two years I have chain smoked way too much and I feel like it interferes with my ability to get things done. For the next three months I have to work and study so I am hoping this is a good time to quit as I really do not have time to smoke, and even if I did I don't smoke like a "normal" smoker.

I'm very tired of smoking and I do not want to feel tied down by this addiction/habit any longer. Tonight I am trying to come up with a plan for the first three days. Tonight I jogged for an hour and I felt so much better afterward.

If anyone has any advice related to quitting smoking I would really appreciate hearing how you or your loved ones quit for once and for all. Thank you.

I think one part of my plan will be to post daily check-ins on this site and monitor my daily progression.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

fill your life with quit smoking media, images, screensaver, make it impossible to get away from. As i posted before Alan Carr on youtube.

go to sleep with one of those quit smoking sleep meditation clips on youtube.

put a recepie card in your wallet with all the reasons why you want to quit - so when you have a craving you can read your list. as the days go by you will add to your list.

also ..... calculate how much you spend, or spent per week on smokes and multiply that by 52... what kind of vacation or new computer or car could you buy with that ?

i could keep going, and going and going ... but i am also in the same boat. posting helps me get thru ONE day. early days i think you have to keep up the posting ... day 1, day 2 etc . . .

you can do it
Old 10-29-2017, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have used the meditation videos before. I'm hoping my anxiety will decrease as I get the toxins out of my body. Tonight I will use the meditation video and write a list to keep in my wallet. You can do it too! We will do it together.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been quit for 2 1/2 years and it was probably the best decision I ever made. My state (Maryland) has upped "sin" taxes on alcohol and tobacco, so cigs are $7-$8 a pack now. $ 7.50 x 1.5 (packs a day) x 365 = $ 4106.25 per year - indeed that would buy a great vacation !

I basically quit cold turkey, but I say just like with drinking, whatever works for you is what is best. Good luck !
Old 10-30-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel like I have to smoke in order to concentrate. At 9:30 I will be 24 hours away from my last cigarette. Right now I want to drive to the store and buy a pack but I think it will be better for me to just relax and listen to a quit smoking meditation video.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Acheleus! Day 19 today for me. Yes, yes, we CAN do this!

You've quit before so you know what this feels like already. This is new to me.

I've gotten quite a few suggestions here which are great because I can use all the help I can get.

Still haven't checked out the Alan Carr videos, heading to bed so maybe I'll put one on my Iphone and check it out.

What are some of the things you did last time that got you to 9 months?

For me, I sadly say that for the most part I've been relying on sheer willpower along with sugar free gum and tic tacs. Drinking lots of water. I need to really start using some of the things I've been reading here.

There is strength in numbers
Old 10-30-2017, 11:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I exercised when I wanted a cigarette. I was in school when I quit for nine months and I couldn't think at the beginning. I have to take an exam again so I have to quit being afraid of not concentrating.

I am going to stay close to SR for three days and then I will jog when I want a cigarette.

I feel awful from smoking and I do not want to be controlled by tobacco any longer.

I also dated a smoker after I quit and that was just dumb.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Wow, Acheleus, check out those Alan Carr videos Bob was talking about. I went ahead last night and decided to at least check it out to see what the premise was so I watched a few that were a quick explanation.

I found it interesting that I posted this the other day even prior to watching:

I was also thinking about this today. How many times have you seen someone say they don't think they can quit an addiction because they have such anxiety issues? Well, when I quit drinking I found that after a few weeks my anxiety dipped tremendously. Now that I've quit smoking, outside of the anxiety of the random craving my anxiety has dipped even further.
After watching the video I did last night I understand why. It's pretty interesting. Also, I'm sure just a coincidence but after the short amount of time I spent watching , for the first time this morning I didn't have the typical cigarette craving due to drinking coffee. Maybe it's all in my head, I'm sure, who knows? Better yet, who cares? For whatever reason so far today I haven't had the silent battle that I have in prior days.

Maybe it's that it helps to have an understanding of how your body and brain are tricking you.

I'm going to watch more when I can.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That sounds like a good idea. I have seen an interview with Mr. Carr on youtube. Right now I am in the midst of the first crazy days but I know that my anxiety will normalize once I quit inhaling toxic chemicals every hour.

When I smoke I go overboard and I don't think I need to even entertain the thought of smoking again. I'm going to just relax today and quit worrying so I can let my body heal.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

great thread read again