Notices

Four out of 5 days sober. Do you consider that not sober?

Old 10-19-2017, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four out of 5 days sober. Do you consider that not sober?

I'm a daily drinker. 7 days a week. I've done decent stretches here and there, 10 days, 18. Etc. lately I've been doing 4 days of nothing, three days drinking. Should I be proud of this or should I be ashamed of any?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of course you don't consider it sober. I'm sorry for asking. I just felt I have been more disciplined. But that's probably wishful thinking
Old 10-19-2017, 10:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think any downward progression is good LC - but my real progress didn't start til I quit drinking entirely.

D
Old 10-19-2017, 10:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just felt I have been more disciplined. But that's probably wishful thinking
I think many of us can curtail our drinking for limited periods of time - the reality is tho it never lasts.

D
Old 10-19-2017, 11:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think the idea of discipline is an illusion our alcoholism tricks us into believing. I tried that for many years - I'd give myself a schedule, when I would and wouldn't allow drinking, even kept track in a notebook... in retrospect, however, I was obsessing about it as every alcoholic does. Eventually I started breaking schedule for certain excuses, then any excuse, then I didn't need an excuse; just felt like it. Next thing I know, hours wasted after blacking out and all the shame to go with it.

For me, as Dee said, the only progress for me was stopping completely. There is no "safe drinking" for me, unfortunately, and perhaps not for you either. People who can drink normally don't have to schedule out their drinking! :-)
Old 10-19-2017, 11:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If it was me, I’d stop altogether. I remember I had periods where I’d just drink through the weekend. It was kind of better but I just went at it that bit harder when I was drinking. Feast or famine, I guess.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Our AV is a manipulator. It can have us go a few days without drinking to convince us we aren't alcoholics and don't have a problem. If you are able to go days without, why not try to completely abstain? You CAN do this.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also wanted to control my drinking. To try and drink like a "normal" social drinker. I did as you shared about. Set rules to only drink on certain days of the week, only certain types of alcohol, plus a list of other things.

It did not work for me. I could do it for a brief amount of time but the pressure built up inside me and went back to daily drinking. Daily was my default.

Quitting completely brought peace, calmness and comfort to me.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

is four out of five days sober 'sober'?

well... the four sober days are sober.

The other one's not.

keep at it.... sobriety is a gift.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No, it's not sober. I too believe that tapering or any kind of exercise to control or monitor or minimize your drinking- IF you are an alcoholic (note- normal people can do this, say, for health reasons)- is a fool's errand.

Do you want to be completely sober?
Old 10-20-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Progress

Just make progress, as long as you're improving, that's the important part, make a commitment to yourself that you will try. I'd like to quote Sun-tzu here
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Know who you are.