And...Here we go again! - Sorry long read

Old 09-25-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And...Here we go again! - Sorry long read

Sober recovery has provided me with so much support over the years. You've helped me leave a terrible marriage and even as I do not post, I still reach back every week to get support. I am now asking for advice.

About 9 year's ago, I separated from my an Alcoholic. (My story is here if any one would like to look). I have two children - a 28 year old who is about to give birth any day and a 22 year old - the one with the issue. When I separated from my ex-husband I took the children. Had zero help from the ex-husband. About 6 years ago, my son started giving my hell. He started up with weed, hanging out with a bad crowd, just being unmanageable. He started getting arrested for selling weed. (My apartment complex has zero tolerance for those things and I was threatened with eviction if it continued). I had also remarried and my son hated my new husband. About two years ago, my son broke my husband's hand. I still continued to allow him to stay with me, however he was becoming increasingly unstable. He eventually got arrested for a minor sexual assault and during the course of that he was diagnosed schizophrenic. I enlisted my ex-husband's help at this time and he began living with my ex-husband. We supported him through his first court process, posting bail and attending court. My son is totally non medically compliant and smokes weed all day every day. The kicker is that my ex-husband provided and smoked weed with him which made me totally crazy as I know the complication of schizophrenia and weed smoking if you do take medications. Fast forward to now. My son got arrested again for another infraction. I had totally stopped communicating with my ex-husband as he was contributing to the issue of my son smoking (And, I believe he may be taking other drugs now as well). My son has been admitted to the hospital 3 times the past 2 months as he refuses to be medicated and smokes constantly. He also has a terrible anger issue, as he got upset with my ex-husband and busted the windows of his car as well as his girlfriends car. He is currently in the hospital. He will have no where to go when he gets out. My daughter is about to become a mother. My stepdaughter has just moved in with me. My ex-husband does not want him with him. I hate to see him go in a shelter, however, I am so tired. I do not have any more fight me to deal with this. It helps getting this out, so who ever took the time to read, I thank you.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Schizophrenia and drug/alcohol addiction (dual diagnosis) are a sad combination and I am so very sorry for you and your family that your son has not been willing to seek help.

"We" (the parents) are not the only solution, we're not even a good one. There is real help available to him but he has to be willing to reach out and take it. The Salvation Army has free rehab programs that are very good but I am not sure how they deal with schizophrenia issues.

This is one situation where, as a parent, I would not just back off entirely. Perhaps contact the Schizophrenia support groups near you and find out what may be available to him, and also the Salvation Army, I'm sure they have run into this often.

This link may be a good start to finding a place that may help him. In the end, only he can decide if he is ready for help, but you can rest easier knowing that help IS available when he is ready.

https://www.addictioncenter.com/addi...schizophrenia/
Old 09-26-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

While I don't know the solution, I wanted to know I am here, reading this, supporting you. I cannot imagine how hard this has been for you.

Gentle hugs.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Talk with the social worker in the hospital, provide the back story details that he may not be sharing with them. You never know maybe they can offer something.