Notices

Loss of purpose

Old 09-24-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Loss of purpose

Hi am a newbie.. Was here 2 or so years ago but did not manage to give up.. I tend to binge drink - 2 days a week in the pub although this time I am at home- my husband is away and I don't know what to do with myself. It is not much different when he is here as I have been signed off work for 3 years due to mental health issues.. I tend to isolate but when i do go out, I go to the pub 5minutes away and feel better and then get quite high and can't stop talking. Always wonder what I said the night before, how I behaved as I get really hyper. Want it to change, as starting therapy next month and I can't drink doing that- don't know how I will do it- i can't seem to find anything that engages me- constantly feel at a loss. Anyway here I am- have been reading posts in the hope they will help. Thanks
Old 09-24-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I found alcohol robbed me of my ability to enjoy things or interest in things. I suffered from depression all my life but when I quit last time my depression disappeared.

Life does get better when you stop drinking. it's rough at first but it does get so much better.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks readyatlast- problem is I feel so good when I go to the pub - I am meeting people and being sociable but it sometimes ends in disaster . I have bipolar and bpd- which affects your mood- am on meds which do help but dampen your feelings, so when I drink it feels like I am feeling.. I know this is not true- it is such a destructive cycle- am constantly going to destruct mode.. Will keep trying- have done 5 and 7 days before..
Old 09-24-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you will find that when you stop drinking completely, you will begin to have interest in things again. I think it will also be easier to manage the bipolar disorder without alcohol in the mix. It's good that you are getting therapy and hopefully that will help you as you begin recovery. Have faith that you can do this, and keep reading and posting here for support.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna - I like your tag about our deepest fear- makes sense...
Old 09-24-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been on antidepressants since being a teen and thought drinking helped. It was only when I stopped drinking that I realised that it was the alcohol that made me depressed. All along I thought it was helping but it was the cause.

I quit for 3.5 years and my depression went although I do still suffer from anxiety and take a mild anti-d and anxiety drug to manage that. And it is manageable.

I started drinking again last year thinking I was 'cured' and it's been downhill even since until the last 3 months I've felt so depressed and down. I'm 28 days sober again now and it's been up and down but finally starting to see the fog lifting.

One thing's for sure, if we keep drinking we just get more and more depressed. Alcohol is a depressant and you're not giving your meds the true chance of working whilst drinking.

Maybe give not drinking a try and see how that goes why not come and join us in the September class of people quitting this month

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-2-a-10.html
Old 09-24-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Chance - we're happy to have you with us. Reading and posting helped me quit after a lifetime of drinking & sabotaging myself. I hope you find what you need here.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wishing you well on your recovery journey Chance 💜
Old 09-24-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey chance! Welcome I am a newbie too I had five years and fell off again. But things I learned in my soberity I was more fun sober I had too believe in myself that I was worthy and that I was fun. No one person has it completely right and yet I bet we can all pin point someone who we think is the coolest and we think if we drink we will be like them. Alcholol is just not for us it robs us it hurts us more then anything can in places nothing else gets too. You hava everything in u too be fun and socialable already. Fight the urge my friend it is worth every min sober ❤️
Old 09-25-2017, 02:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Feel more positive today ! Will keep coming here and give it ago..
Old 09-25-2017, 04:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you, Chance! That's great to hear you're feeling more positive today😀
Old 09-25-2017, 04:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

tell ya what;

I have found heaps more purpose in life sober than I ever felt in drunken, drugged, addicted illusion of purpose.

Keep at it!!