Notices

Marriage in early recoery

Old 09-14-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Marriage in early recoery

My drinking escalated considerably during this last year, and it caused great hardship in my marriage. As I work though recovery (albeit only 2 weeks thus far) my wife is alternatively angry and relieved. But the anger is understandably still there.

My approach is to maintain sobriety as the best way to get back to normal, but this may not be enough.

What have you done to work towards restoring trust and happiness in your relationship in recovery?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Sober time. Trust needs a lot of time to come back. And any relapses adds a lot more time. 2 weeks is very early. You can't control how long it'll take your wife to trust you again. Only she can. So keep up the great work.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will talk to you from the other side of the fence so to speak. My X husband was the alcoholic in my marriage.

What you need to understand is that there are no words you can say. She may need constant reassurance you are not drinking. It will get annoying. Give it to her anyways. She will need long term actions of you not drinking and SHOWING her that you mean it, and that she can trust you.

It took a long time to get where you are, and it will take a long time to get back. However, if you are dedicated, and willing to show her through your actions over the long haul, it may be doable.

Good for you on your recovery. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nez

Doing trustworthy things.

Don't mean to over simplify things, but basic gist is to live up to your moral code and philosophies to the best of your abilities. :~)

Trust the process and let go, is about all any of us can do.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I needed to be patient and it was very hard. I did what I could, which was simply doing the next right thing all the time. I was present for my family all the time, and I didn't have expectations for them. It's hard, but you can get through this.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Whether its early marriage or having been married long term, once you've eroded the trust of your spouse the only thing that will get it back is remaining sober and living proper. And if your wife is like mine, its not gonna happen in a couple weeks. It could take months. Stay sober, your life will improve tremendously.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

You gotta change and continually demonstrate you have changed through your actions towards her. Such a change is a monumental task, help and direction is often needed.