Dealing with loss with an ounce of recovery behind you

Old 09-12-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with loss with an ounce of recovery behind you

I'm pretty gutted and brokenhearted to report that my sweet corgi crossed the rainbow bridge this weekend.

It was very sudden, happened fast, and I don't get much of an explanation for why my 9 year old"healthy as a horse" dog had to go. They think maybe a blood clot went through, they just don't know - fine one day, gone the next. It was traumatic, and there are some scenes from Sunday I will never forget.

He was my best bud. He went everywhere with me. To work, fishing, camping, to all of my friends houses - EVERYWHERE. So, at the moment, there is really nowhere I can go where there isn't a hole, and the feeling that he is missing. Needless to say, i fluctuate between complete wreck and basket case.

But...recovery has taught me self care. I am NOT telling everyone that I am fine like I would have 5 years ago. I am not putting on a fake, constantly happy face. I am not fighting my tears, and I do not feel bad for tearing up in front of people who ask me where my sidekick is. I took yesterday off work. And I am putting myself to bed at 6 pm if I want to. I'm taking all the love I can get. I am taking one moment at a time, and I will get rid of his stuff, and wash his fur off my clothing and out of my car when I am damn good and ready.

And people are amazing. Most have been through it. I'm getting constant hugs, and check ins, and my desk is covered in flowers.

The religious gray area fence sitter that I am is giving me visions of Sweet Einstein, and my sweet dad - who were 2 peas in a pod - reunited and happily playing together once again, and I'm so thankful for that.

I would have bottled this all up not so long ago, and it would have been one more thing keeping me sick. Thank you all <3

And this is my Einstein, may he rest in peace. He was just the best.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, sweetie. I'm so sorry.

I've loved and lost seven dogs...some of them suddenly and some of them painfully slowly. It's agony down to my core, every damned time.

Your Einstein was your heart dog and that loss is even harder, if that's possible.

My deepest sympathies and monster hugs go out to you.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very sorry for your sad loss, FireBolt.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Firebolt, my heart cries with your pain.....I am so sorry.
It is something that I know so, so well.....

We don't get to keep them forever...as that is the way of the Universe....
But, I hope, that, in time, you will find solace in the sweet memories and give thanks that he was given to you....
I know that you gave him the best doggie life, possible....:
Old 09-12-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my English Bull about a year ago. Also suddenly and without notice. She just died, right in my house. It was the worst. We got another puppy, Max, soon after. It helped tremendously. I'm not saying that's the answer for everyone, but it was for us. Take your time grieving. Again, so so sorry, Elissa
Old 09-12-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I find myself weeping for you and your beloved Einstein.
So very sorry for your loss, prayers for you both.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry for your loss. From your pictures, it looks like you must have many wonderful memories, and you gave him a great doggie life in which he was cared for, loved, and appreciated.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, firebolt, I am so, so sorry for the loss of your dearest little man! My heart aches for you. I hope you do find some comfort in thinking of your dear dad and your best dog bud hanging out together. Two such hard losses, fb...

Like others here, I know what it is to lose a dog friend, and you will be in my thoughts, with my little lamp lit for you and him.

I wish healing for you, so when the time is right, you can love another canine creature while still honoring the memory of the one who is gone.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hugs to you, Firebolt.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((((firebolt))))
Old 09-12-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fb, I am so sorry.

I am struggling to get another dog because I hurt do bad the last time I had to put one down. Sending tight hugs!!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss firebolt .
Old 09-13-2017, 05:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very sorry for your loss, Firebolt.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry firebolt. I know that exact pain, and would not wish it on anyone.

May he rest in peace.

So this is where we part, My Friend,
and you'll run on, around the bend,
gone from sight, but not from mind,
new pleasures there you'll surely find.

I will go on, I'll find the strength,
life measures quality, not its length.
One long embrace before you leave,
share one last look, before I grieve.

There are others, that much is true,
but they be they, and they aren't you.
And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought,
will remember well all you've taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed,
the fur I stroked, the nose I kissed.
And as you journey to your final rest,
take with you this...I loved you best.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss. What a sweet little guy. Losing your best friend is very hard, especially when you have gone through other hardships and he was obviously always there for you. I was just telling my sister the other day how my penny is always there with me no matter what. My little companion. That no matter how tough life has gotten she is always leaning right against me. It's hard to imagine her gone.

I am proud of you for not hiding your pain. It's ok. It is there, let it wash over you. Feel it. Embrace it as you are and know that in time you will feel a little bit better. But not right now. Now you are grieving. And that is ok. Sleep when you feel like it. Move his things when you are good and ready. Cry as much as you need to. I am glad you know in your heart that it is OK to do those things. It is hard. Especially when it happens so quickly and so unexpectedly.

Take care of yourself, he sure was loved.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh friend, I am so very sorry. They truly do become your family. You are in my heart.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, guys. I miss him desperately and really appreciate the condolences. <3 I know most of you know what it's like.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry firebolt. I lost my D twenty plus years ago and I still miss her tremendously. I can't imagine how you're feeling now. Hugs and prayers to you.