Notices

Close call-with Irma approaching I nearly drank

Old 09-09-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Close call-with Irma approaching I nearly drank

I have been sober since December 23, 2015, when I nearly killed myself in a horrific drunken car crash, and have been feeling very positive and strong in my sobriety-until today. Hurricane Irma is bearing down on Florida and I was in our nearly deserted downtown after yoga class making last-minute preps when I rode my bike past a convenience store which just happened to be open and very busy. I have anxiety disorder and clinical depression and am extremely nervous about this monster storm--and I had a thought about how just one beer would relax me, remembering my previous bouts with tropical weather here in Florida and how I would inevitably be quite drunk during them. I turned my bike around, stood outside for a good while, went into the store and right to the well-stocked beer case. I saw my poison (cheap, 9% ABV ale in 16oz cans,) opened the door and had my hand on a four-pack when something sane within me said 'No. Don't let this b____h of a storm wreck something you've worked so hard to achieve.' So I didn't. I left, went home and am now relaxing playing my guitar. I feel very proud that I walked away, and I offer my prayers and well-wishes for our SR members in the path of the storm. Whatever happens, I will not drink.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Should you be evacuating? It doesn't sound like it's safe anywhere in that area. Please stay safe.

I'm glad you didn't drink.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck, Verdantia.
I hope all will be well.
I have friends in Gulfport who are going to ride it out. My bestie actually tried to get a flight up here to stay with us but, as you likely know, all flights are done.
I am very worried about her.
Stay safe.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you didn't drink. Stay safe!
Old 09-09-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you made a good decision Verdantia - so pleased

I've been through a few cyclones and I can guarantee you're far better off being sober.

Stay safe and take care
D
Old 09-09-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job on stopping before you drank. I'm in Florida as well, and have had those thoughts about past storms, and how I was always drunk during them. While the booze might have taken the edge off, in reality, if something bad did happen, I want to sober and clear.

Best of luck with the storm, I hope she doesn't do anything too bad to your area.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Boxer

Originally Posted by Verdantia View Post
I have been sober since December 23, 2015, when I nearly killed myself in a horrific drunken car crash, and have been feeling very positive and strong in my sobriety-until today. Hurricane Irma is bearing down on Florida and I was in our nearly deserted downtown after yoga class making last-minute preps when I rode my bike past a convenience store which just happened to be open and very busy. I have anxiety disorder and clinical depression and am extremely nervous about this monster storm--and I had a thought about how just one beer would relax me, remembering my previous bouts with tropical weather here in Florida and how I would inevitably be quite drunk during them. I turned my bike around, stood outside for a good while, went into the store and right to the well-stocked beer case. I saw my poison (cheap, 9% ABV ale in 16oz cans,) opened the door and had my hand on a four-pack when something sane within me said 'No. Don't let this b____h of a storm wreck something you've worked so hard to achieve.' So I didn't. I left, went home and am now relaxing playing my guitar. I feel very proud that I walked away, and I offer my prayers and well-wishes for our SR members in the path of the storm. Whatever happens, I will not drink.
Awesome decision Verdantia!
Old 09-10-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm in st Pete too. Wouldn't want to be in Gulfport right now. It floods in a thunderstorm. Good for not drinking. I can't imagine being drunk in this chaos
Old 09-10-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can SOOOO relate to this. In Florida hurricanes have always been a reason to party and get trashed. I'm a native Floridian 45 years and hurricanes and alcohol have always gone hand in hand. My FB has been inundated with pics of alcohol and parties. I have been sober for 7 plus months and this is the strongest my AV and cravings have ever been. Like, BAD. It is amazing what my AV has been screaming at me. I haven't given in, though. Let's hope we all stay safe. See everyone on the other side, SOBER!
Old 09-10-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tremendous decision! All my work now is to have the courage to say 'no' in those key moments of temptation.

Way to go!
Old 09-10-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

just bumping this

Prayers to everyone is the path of this devastation - but thanks again to Verdantia. for showing we don't have to drink