Notices

Suboxone withdrawals

Old 08-21-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suboxone withdrawals

Hi
So I've been on the suboxone program for 4 years now. It started by buying paracetamol with codeine for a migraine one day and turned into a serious dependency very quickly. I didn't even know wat codeine was wen I first was suggested to try it by the pharmacy and certainly didn't think it was addictive etc 2 years later I was put on sub. It saved my life at the time but the problem now is getting off it. The first time I withdrawd from it I had serious chest pain cramps aches spasms and then the real pain started and so did the vomiting...it continued for 2 weeks. I was hooked up to drip and in my hospital room for 2 weeks and lost 10kg. The pain was unbearable and I wanted to die the entire time. I've gone they withdrawals before but nothing like this. Unfortunately 5 weeks later I relapsed and long story short ended up on suboxone again. Since then I have tried 5 times again to come off but each time I only last 4 or so days and I stop it short and go back to suboxone. Basically I know that withdrawals are bad but I felt very frightened that something g else was being triggered when my withdrawals came on. There was no relief The vomiting and pain seemed to put me into shock and I started fitting. I felt like it was going to kill me. I keep trying to tell the doctors I think there's something wrong but maybe this is normal? Has anyone experienced chronic vomiting and acute pain for 2 weeks 24/7 while withdrawing? Thanks
L
Old 08-21-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome L

I don;t know anything about subs but wanted to say hi and let you know people were reading.

Would a supervised detox be an option for you?

D
Old 10-01-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome L..sorry to hear about the relapse I remember when I was in a simpler situation and thinking something else is going badley wrong mid withdrawal is quite normal I felt like I had one lung with a massive pain in my chest I panicked so much one night I spoke to frank who said its my body starting to feel what the subs have been keeping at bay for ten years I came off 16 mill and ten year habit just over night I found listening to music on iPod songs about getting clean help and candles things what smell nice..inspiring films ..find that slong that really speaks to your soul and sends shivers all over your body it keeps the cramps at bay for a while and just eat fruit helps a lot it took me 14 days for the last of the pain to go and while I was up with insomnia I had the most amazing spiritual awakening!! But that's a diff story lol stay strong and focus on all the positives you can do this..
Old 11-29-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you tapering and if so, what is your mg at the jump off point? I tapered from 24mg a day to chipping pieces off my tablet and taking every three days before my jump off. WDs were mild, not comfortable but nothing like cold turkey quiting opioids. My main issue with sub wd was stomach problems.

I want to add that I tappered down over four months. I started skipping days and reducing my amounts.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just started tapering about three weeks ago, from 14 MG to 8MG but the insomnia was too much, I had to take it back up a notch to 10 MG so I can sleep. I will keep tapering though, I am gonna keep at it until I get it right and as pain free as I can get it. As long as my doctor gives me time and I can show good forward movement I will be happy, I just dont want to do it too fast, like Damascus was saying with his chest pains and such I dont want to have that or the mental stress from going too fast. Hopefully in a couple months I will be ready to jump off this ride!
Old 05-02-2018, 09:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard myshot.

D
Old 08-13-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Iv battled opiate addiction for 19 years, been on suboxone,16mg, for 3 years. 18 days ago I quit suboxone cold turkey. (Not advised ). The worst of my withdraws was the first 14 days. I didn't have any vomit, but it came out the other end just as bad. The physical pain in my legs and back were the worst! Hot baths, like 7 a day, really helped the most. Iv been thru withdraws many times and thought this was gonna be like any other. Suboxone withdraws for me was worse than ANY withdrawal I had ever been through. I know it's hard, and it's hard to believe the other side of withdrawal you can have this amazing life without drugs because most of us can't imagine something we have never had. Hang in there if you are struggling, reach out!!!!!
Old 08-13-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have never gone through opioid withdrawal, but I have known many people who have. They describe the exact symptoms you went through, and said the same about it being so hellish that they just wanted to die (and the people to which I'm referring are super tough for the most part). I don't think you can actually die from Suboxone withdrawal, but I could be wrong.

See if a supervised detox is possible. If you are committed to sobriety, there is no need for you to suffer so much. That is precisely what ends up leading people back to the drug. As I said, I have no experience with opiate withdrawal, but I have experienced alcohol withdrawal on a number of occasions and know that it is truly terrifying. You feel like you've completely lost control of your body.

I hope you find the help you need!!
Old 10-07-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been off subs now for 6 days. Been on them for 5 years. Last year I started a slow taper. Last 2 months I was on very low dose.

My issue with getting advice is everything is so negative. How many of us log onto these forums and end up mentally sabotaging ourselves by reading so many negative things. For once I would love to read something positive. I'm not naive, I know it won't be easy but there has to be some that didnt have an awful time if they tapered slowly. Someone give me some encouragement here!!!