Notices

Health questions

Old 08-05-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health questions

hello all,
Today marks my 3 months sobriety. I'm still fighting yeah. So i was at the Drs office and had a chest X-ray. The Dr told me my heart looks big and i should do an echocardiography and i'm only 24 with a 10 months history only of alcohol abuse. I'm really worried about this i'm visting the cardiologist on monday. So my question is does any of you have any similar diagnosis ? And if so how are you dealing with it.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. - Steve Vai

Hi Kassir,

Sorry you've been given the whole weekend to worry without knowing whether it's worth worrying about. Congrats on the three months of sobriety!

Independent of alcohol there are lots of things that can cause heart enlargement including bacterial and viral infections. Some people experience this in the aftermath of a nasty virus and then improve over time. Some people experience heart enlargement in the context of exercise which is usually benign, and in some cases x-rays alone are misleading which is why further testing is required.

You'll have a much better idea of what's going on after actually undergoing the test and having the results interpreted but know that there could be lots of different reasons for an enlarged heart: some serious, and some benign.

In the meantime, stay sober!
Old 08-05-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was 21 when I was taken to hospital with chest pains, I was drinking heavily and never viewed a connection, they told me my heart was Big too. After an echocardiogram they told me I just had an above average sized heart, it's sometimes seen in people who do a lot of exercise (athletic heart) or maybe a natural born difference. I doubt it's anything sinister so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Continue with your docs and of course don't drink!
Old 08-05-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share but I'm wishing you all the best Kassir - keep us updated ok?

D