Notices

Need a little encouragement

Old 07-28-2017, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need a little encouragement

I now have 5 days sober. Which is a proud accomplishment for me, but I cannot thoroughly enjoy it knowing the weekend is approaching.

My main time for a relapse is the weekend. My temptation is so strong as I have free-time and my mind tricks me into thinking "Well, this would be more fun with a buzz."

Anyone else experience this? I'm looking for some support. I plan on spending time on here every morning and evening to keep my urges away, but I'm still nervous.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Five days is great.

Don't fall for the tricks of the addictive voice, which will find all kinds of excuses to get you to drink. If you are seriously committed to sobriety, you will put up with the discomfort and boredom and get through the weekend without drinking.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 days!! Weekends were especially hard for me in the beginning as well, but nothing beats a sober weekend and hangover free Saturday and Sunday morning! If the craving hits you play the tape forward...think about how awful you will feel if you do drink and how far you've come!

Come on SR – read, post or go on chat!
I sometimes find a 10 minute walk (without my wallet will help me pass the craving. Could you make plans to go to a movie? Or pick up some snacks and choose a film on Netflix you've been wanting to watch? There's also a bunch of drinking documentaries on youtube that I've watched when I've been struggling with a craving. There are also podcasts about recovery as well.

You can do this!!! Stay strong
Old 07-28-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about weekends being the hardest. It took me getting through a number of them before I could begin to enjoy them and not worry about a relapse.

What worked for me was to stay close to SR and do things that I don't enjoy doing while drinking: working out, watching a great movie, going to the theater, museums, reading a good book, go to the nail salon, go shopping...

Plan ahead and know that once you get through a few weekends sober, it will get easier. Promise!

Congratulations on 5 days. Just think, once the weekend is over you will have 1 week under your belt.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job on your days. I think the question is who doesn't experience this. As already said this is just your AV trying to pull you back in. Whatever you do don't under estimate it. It will try every trick under the sun to get what it wants. Hope you will stand up to it.You will be so glad that you did.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When you have those automatic thoughts, like, "this would be more fun with a buzz", don't take them at face value. Analyze it. Is that really true? If so, do you want to have that kind of fun? Would it be real and satisfying, and would it last? How would it feel to wake up the next morning? That won't be fun. Just sort of talk it through.

Concentrate on how good it will feel to go to bed feeling healthy and well, and wake up rested and with no regrets. Then keep yourself busy with things you used to do, when you didn't fill up your time with drinking and recovering from drinking. The "old" you.

Just some ideas!
Old 07-28-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's okay to be nervous and know that it will get easier.

Congratulations on 5 days of sobriety.

As others have said, make plans that avoid alcohol and people drinking. Try to keep busy and be sure to check in here.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, Nos. Congratulations on 5 days - that's really great!

I ran across these lists on Facebook and found them very encouraging. So much so that I also posted them over on the 24 hour thread. I hope they help you, too.

11 QUOTES TO REMEMBER WHEN YOU FEEL LOST IN YOUR LIFE:
1. Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination. The best is yet to come.
2. Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us.
3. If you don’t like where you are, move. You are not a tree.
4. You can’t start the next chapter if you keep rereading the last.
5. If it doesn’t open, it’s not your door.
6. Sometimes you need to step outside, get some air, and remind yourself of who you are and where you want to be.
7. Sometimes you need to talk to a three-year-old just so you can understand life again.
8. Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters. Think about it.
9. Sometimes, you have to stop thinking so much and just go where your heart takes you.
10. You don’t have to have it all figured out to move forward.
11. Never stop believing because miracles happen every day.

TEN PAINFUL TRUTHS:
1. The average human life is relatively short.
2. You will only ever live the life you create for yourself.
3. Being busy does NOT mean being productive.
4. Some kind of failure always occurs before success.
5. Thinking and doing are two very different things.
6. You don’t have to wait for an apology to forgive.
7. Some people are simply the wrong match for you.
8. It’s not other people’s job to love you; it’s yours.
9. What you own is not who YOU are.
10. Everything changes, every second.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, the other day when I had the voice in my head saying go on you will be fine, I sat on here all day, it helped me, perhaps being on here over the weekend and posting will help you, good luck