Notices

This is my first step

Old 07-16-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is my first step

I'm a 29 male, living alone doing 12hr night shifts Sunday-Thursday.

I gym every day I can and try and diet also. But come the weekend I binge drink and sometimes it leads to a full weekend and also drugs (cocaine) comes into play.

I've been broken hearted since I was 14 chasing the same girl and being hurt and also hurting others along the way.

I want to be able to control myself and be sober on weekends but I fall off the wagon so easy.

I'm currently typing this and haven't slept for 30+ hours with a bud in my hand. I start work at 9:30pm tonight.

How do I control myself guys, I used to be so strong and never drank but since I've lived alone I've been like this..

I can't live at home because the amount of stress I get is unreal.

Can someone advise me on how to start
Old 07-16-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome.
IMO you should call your doc, get an appointment, tell him/her the utter truth, get some meds, schedule a few days off (piggy back two before your regularly scheduled days off) and quit.
There is no way to control our drinking.
Get some good comfort foods and some health foods to temper the withdrawl period. Prepare to feel pretty much like garbage for 3 days...and stick around here posting and reading. Try walks and I lived in the shower as I felt really horrible.
By day 5 you will see a vast improvement.
Done it a thousand times. Don't want to ever go through it again.
Good luck!!
Jules
Old 07-16-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And day two of withdrawl? My ex dumped me, so it can also be done during heartache. You're not alone.
I've turned my mind to anything else each time I thought of him. It's been 23 days after a two year relationship and I haven't cried since week one. I have to just get well. No doubt my love life will fall into place when I am better and ready.
You will find the same.
J
Old 07-16-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Scotty,

So glad you are here. There is hope, and this place can help you get healthy and have a better life!

Look through the notes at the top of the forum, the Stickies, and keep reading around here. There are many experienced, wise and caring people here who can help you stop drinking and reclaim your life.

I'm fairly new here with about 2 months of no drinking, and my life is so much better.

The next few days will be rough, but just put the Bud down and don't buy another. You are so young.. you have a whole life to lead, and love will come your way again.

Please don't despair. Life is good, and things can be so much better for you! Drinking is not the answer.

Keep posting. We are here for you.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

scotty- welcome. Firstly- no sleep for 30 hours, booze, then work? Unsafe. Especially if you work with people. I used to be a nurse- up to 16 hour shifts and I know how wrecked sleep deprivation and booze (after work) really mess upped my judgement. See a doc- good advice here. You have an awareness early and excellent resources here to help you. Use them.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey there Scotty --
Jules gave you great advice above..

You need to start the process.
See your Doctor and take a few days to Detox.

Once sober .. you can make a plan.
Please take the time to make this happen!

SR is here for you.. we are all here for you.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Since you mainly drink on the weekends it sounds like make sure to have a plan to stay busy next weekend. It doesn't matter what it is just something that keeps you busy and don't pick up that first drink that gets the ball rolling.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Really appreciate this guys means a lot to see and read these. Means a lot that people I've never met before have taken their time to say these things.

I'm going to book a night off work tomorrow or have a half shift so I can go to the doctors first thing.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope with your doctor's help, and our support, you can get sober for good. It takes some effort but is well worth it.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great ideas here already Scotty

To be honest I think that only drinking on weekends ship has sailed for you...but complete sobriety is not at all a bad thing. I love my life now

Support really helped me & this community especially helped me turn my life around - my advice is to read around, post as much as you like, find a way that makes sense to you and go for it (see a Dr if you're worried about withdrawal or you think you need to).

It all starts with a day one.

D
Old 07-16-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, Scotty! I hope you'll stay with us and keep talking. We are like a family - where everyone understands each other. Let us know how you make out at the doctor - that's a wise move.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Scotty!!
Old 07-18-2017, 02:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Reading this these again guys and it's much appreciated!

Currently sat in my doctors about to be seen. Let's see if he can be helpful as he's normally useless 🙈

I'll give you an update soon as I'm out ☺️ Thanks everyone x
Old 07-18-2017, 03:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Scotty- glad you are seeing the dr. I have great ones- I'd say they have been pretty darn critical to my success in sobriety, so keep looking if yours is not helpful.

You can make this your last quit. Have you looked around SR much? The Newcomers Daily Support section has a "class of" for each month so you could look at the July one to find folks in the same place as you.

Take care and I hope to see you around.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
nmd

Welcome Scotty! I did the same thing for a while, work and then come home and drown my feelings. Sometimes it's better to just feel the hurt and let it pass. Focus attention on improving your situation instead of letting things pile up like i did.

I tried to cut back on my drinking for years, but always rebounded back to where I left off. After getting sober, I can honestly say that everything is better. My health, my relationships, my mood. Stick with us!