Notices

Listening to my own hearing

Old 07-10-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Listening to my own hearing

Hi

I'm on day 72 this time around.

Managing to stay alcohol free ok, but struggling with my hearing.

Not as in my ears that are listening, but very aware of changes in my mind to do with changes in audio. It's been difficult with a move this week from the country to the city, and finding that the change is really awakening the old addiction.

Just felt like posting as I want to try and remind myself that drinking isn't going to help the situation or stop my ears from hearing.

Anyone else feel that hearing or changes in noise can send there addicted brain into a spin?
Old 07-10-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you an HSP? Highly Sensitive Person?

We are living in a temporary apartment in the city while waiting for our house to be built and it's been three months of utter misery because I am an HSP and hear EVERYTHING. My neighbor stomping around the upstairs apartment, the cars pulling in and out at all hours, the televisions, the traffic, on and on. (Don't get me started on the secondhand cigarette smoke.)

And like you, it does trigger the desire to just BLOCK IT ALL OUT somehow. I have over 18 months sober and it hasn't been this hard for me in a long time. I am just grinding through reminding myself it would be even worse with a hangover.

So I sympathize, I really do...
Old 07-10-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exactly why this evening I have had some of my strongest urges to drink.. 8 hours in a room with 15 very different personalities, some quiet, some boisterous, and about 6 hours in I want to implode.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

overly sensitive.

Working a program for the alcohol part, but my senses seem to be very heightened with the uproot and change.

For years I have been thinking that everything is in sound. when the sound vibration changes so too my mind can move from calm to agitated.

Working hard to try and relax which seems like a pointless exercise.

i hear you on the neighbour problem. I'm back sharing a house with family after living in my own place. i'm determined not to pick up alcohol again as it will only make the problems worse. but with stress comes the fake solution of drinking, trying to ignore it and remember it will pass as i settle in.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just living in a city comes with added stimulus and ....stress. It doesn't surprise me that it makes you want to medicate it, but just as always.....it doesn't help anything. It will take some adjusting, but adjusting sober is the real deal. Stay strong!!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just thinking back, and I DID use some cheap little ear plugs in early months of recovery. I think we're just typically restless, irritable and discontent at this time. Raw and reactive. We've dropped our crutch and are yet to build up our recovery toolbox or become adept at handling those tools.

It will get better. Why not invest in some ear plugs. Cheaper than just one days alcohol!

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 07-10-2017, 11:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Just thinking back, and I DID use some cheap little ear plugs in early months of recovery. I think we're just typically restless, irritable and discontent at this time. Raw and reactive. We've dropped our crutch and are yet to build up our recovery toolbox or become adept at handling those tools.

It will get better. Why not invest in some ear plugs. Cheaper than just one days alcohol!

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
I order earplugs on Amazon, they are cheap and come in a giant container, they block out my husband's snoring!
Old 07-10-2017, 11:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The city has a lot more noise and it's an adjustment. Perhaps you might want to look into a white noise machine. I'm not sure what you have available there in here in the US they sell a device by LectroFan that works very well. I use one when I sleep especially if I'm away from home (strange sounds make it hard for me to get to sleep).