Notices

Starting Antabuse on Tuesday

Old 07-08-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Antabuse on Tuesday

I have finally gotten to the point where I am tired of trying and failing over and over again. It's finally not worth it anymore. I see my therapist on Tuesday and I know she will gladly prescribe me the Antabuse. Can anyone tell me what to expect? I know it's not a cure-all by any means, but I think it will finally help me STOP! I am great at functioning and drinking and there just aren't enough negative consequences . . . yet . . . (good marriage, work at home job, can still function fine the next day, etc). But I know I am going down a dangerous path and it's time for me to stop. Just wanted to see if there is anything anyone can share about disulfiram. Thank you~
Old 07-09-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
totfit

I took it for a good period of time many years ago. I had relapsed and just could not gain once again "sober traction". It was a great tool for me at the time. It was part of what helped me move forward. Took the drinking part of the equation right out, so I could just concentrate on living a full life without. Gave me that traction I needed at the time. Kind of like sand under a spinning wheel in the snow.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Wrigley...I've not used any medication so can't offer any insight, but just wanted to wish you well and I hope it gives you what you need to achieve sobriety 💜
Old 07-09-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I took this for a couple months a few years back. I didn't want to blow up like a Macy's day float, so it kept me on the straight and narrow for a time. Like a good alcoholic though, made my way around it eventually.

My experience is it can be a decent jump starter and for some and maybe that's enough. I wasn't one of those, however and wasn't done.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

no advise on the antabuse, but something i wonder about:
"...good marriage..."
have you asked your wife how she feels the marriage is?
Old 07-09-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Antabuse is a great tool when taken correctly - and when it is a tool ADDED to your decision to never drink again. Is that your situation? I played around on it the first time it was prescribed, drank on it, skipped doses, everything you should not do- because I didn't really want to quit. When I quit drinking for real - 503 days ago- I took it for the first 90 days. It became just a habit, same time every day, and it was just one of the things my dr prescribed.

If you want to quit for good, it's a good tool (with little or no side effects for me- although it IS tough on the liver so that is a reason most drs monitor the use closely).
Old 07-09-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support. Had my hopefully last drink tonight and look forward to getting this going. I know it's not a cure-all, but it's a start . . . A big important start . . . And to tomsteve, I actually AM the wife and have been very open with my husband, he has been very supportive and forgiving. I told him I am ready to change and after 20 years together, he is standing by me . . . we've been through a lot together. Anyways, thank you everyone.