Notices

Crying jags

Old 06-27-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Crying jags

Just had to leave my desk to come into the bathroom to cry. Nothing happened to instigate this!!!! Well, nothing except giving up drinking 23 days ago. Please tell me this goes away!!!
Old 06-27-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, the early days can be an emotional rollercoaster for sure. 23 days is a great start, and things will get better!
Old 06-27-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi apple,

I remember in the first month standing in the supermarket looking at cheese and having a little cry. And I love cheese! And I remember sitting in my car on several occasions crying for reasons I couldn't quite work out. And the bathroom at work was another place I had a little cry in.

Now I think about it, I haven't had any secret, mysterious crying incidents for months now. So yes, it does go away. Someone here described it as alcohol being a dam. Now the dam is gone, all the buried emotions can come trickling or flooding out. I liked thinking about it like that. It made it feel like all the tears were a useful part of healing. Well done on 23 days
Old 06-27-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's like leaving a toxic relationship..You know it's what you must do to live a happy life for yourself but, you still mourn the loss for a while. It does get better!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Apple. I'd say this was absolutely normal. I drank to numb anything I didn't want to face and used a lot of mental energy covering it up, planning my next drink, telling elaborate lies, focussing through the fog etc etc. In early recovery it is not only a massive physical challenge but also a mental one too. If anything having a good cry is a pretty healthy outlet. I had a good sob on Sunday and it was quite a relief as I hadn't been able to do it for a while. I don't think we are all the same but I'd say you are doing great and emotions will be a little all over the place for a while. You are healing Apple and that is the main thing. Stick with It! ❤❤❤
Old 06-27-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will get better, for sure. I know I cried often in the early weeks, and it made me realize I had not cried at all during the years I was drinking. I really had to get in touch with my feelings.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Those feelings can linger though so try not to let them discourage you.

It doesn't happen to me nearly as much after 4.5 months as it did after 1 but it still pops it's head in to say "hi" quite often for me.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Totally normal as your brain is healing. I not only had crying jags, I also had bouts of unexplained anger. Research PAWS. It can mess you up for up to 2 years. Luckily, I (and my family) only suffered for about a year.
Ride it out. It will get better and better.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me it's random panic, not crying.

But same thing basically, overwhelming feeling out of nowhere.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I get both the panic and crying in the first couple of weeks, then it tends to dissipate. I was walking the dog yesterday and tears just welled up out of nowhere. (Day 6, again)
That said? I'm pretty emotional to begin with and have had anxiety for years before becoming an alcoholic.
Feel better! You're not alone.
J
Old 06-27-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Apple it does- with work. Post here every time you feel emotional. Get daily/regular on the ground support. Many at AA have a sponsor (I do) so whenever they are feeling crap- they have someone to call.
Support to you.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through, it will get better as the body adjusts!!
Old 06-27-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, it's normal for feelings to be all over the place. Three weeks is early in sobriety and you're still adjusting to functioning without alcohol. It gets better.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much! It's been quite a day! I also went to my first AA meeting and I was a mess while there. The meeting was not what I'm looking for, and I don't think I will go back to that one. I may try another or perhaps a secular group like SMART.

I've finally stopped crying and I do feel better. Just part of this journey. Will write about it in my journal to remember how the early days felt.

Thanks again everyone!!!
Old 06-27-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm a middle aged male and at about one year I found my "feelings" came back and shed tears on occasion. True story.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is not the best it gets - I promise applewakesup

D
Old 06-28-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just talked about this in my meeting today. I was thinking I was going nuts. Today I literally cried over spilled milk , my bull for a dog came around the corner full speed and tackled me. I just sat in it and cried then started to do that scary cry laughing thing, scared the crap out of my dog . I hope it does pass because it just started for me this week and I'm 48 days sober
Old 06-28-2017, 05:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post
For me it's random panic, not crying.

But same thing basically, overwhelming feeling out of nowhere.
I get both of them and then add some anger, frustation, and then stress from all of it on top.

some day I'll feel normal inside.