Notices

Binge drinker

Old 06-20-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinker

I have been drinking since about 17 I'm 27 now. I've always had a job never been out of work for more than a week. I have lots of hobbies and am pretty talented. Over these ten years maybe more I can't tell you how many hangovers I've had and how many times I've told myself I'm not doing that again. But then later on I'm drinking some beers or nips. Or ill go all week no drinking working out everyday feeling great then the weekend comes I drink on a Saturday night maybe half a pint, or like 4 or 5 ipa beers and I'm all hungover the next day and feel like death and regret. I'm lucky I haven't got any duis.I really feel like I shouldn't drink anymore. But there is always that craving. I'm not an extreme alcoholic I would say a binge drinker. Just figured I would share. I would love to go a full year with full commitment I know I can do it. I feel like I've wasted a lot of valuable time due to alcohol. But In my own right I'm pretty successful got my own place great job.I feel like i really just have to commit and follow through. Its definetly a hindrance
On my life .
Old 06-20-2017, 10:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard str

I wish I had thought about stopping when I was a binge drinker, but I didn't and I ended up an all day every day drinker.

You'll find a lot of support advice and encouragement to help you stay sober here

D
Old 06-20-2017, 11:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Welcome to SR, str. I am a binge drinker also & finding much happiness & peace in sobriety. I also was a very responsible drinker but as my drinking progressed that front started to crumble. addiction is very powerful, your smart to be looking at how alcohol is affecting you & really does become a ball & chain. This site has been invaluable to me with much support & encouragement!
Old 06-21-2017, 01:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi str90,

It sounds like your binge drinking is at odds with your core values and beliefs. It's great that your listening to yourself. Wishing you well on your journey x
Old 06-21-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Alcoholism is progressive. I had a drinking problem at 27. When I hit 37 I still had a drinking problem, only worse. At 47, I needed to get medical assistance after a 3 day bender because the withdrawal symptoms were to uncomfortable.

If alcohol is a problem for you at 27, quitting now can save you a lot of future agony.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by str90 View Post
But there is always that craving.
Starve that craving for 100 days and tell me if you still think it is always there.

Oh, how I wish I would have quit at 27!

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 06-21-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
hi i'm sarah

Oh boy I know the binge drinking life too. I'd go a day or two of just straight night binge fests and then quit for a few days, but still having one or two drinks at night when I'm unwinding. I'm new to really working on staying sober.....but it'll be worth it. It's gonna feel like hell, but it will be worth it. I feel like I've become too good at it when I do it so it's good that you're listening to yourself. I'm looking at getting a new job now that i've been out of college for a little bit. I'm hoping that once I stay sober, I'll feel like I have the focus to work on it. Good luck
Old 06-21-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thank you for all the kind words and advice everybody they are greatly appreciated!
Old 06-21-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nova84 View Post
Hi str90,

It sounds like your binge drinking is at odds with your core values and beliefs. It's great that your listening to yourself. Wishing you well on your journey x
Thank you nova
Old 06-21-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by str90 View Post
I have been drinking since about 17 I'm 27 now. I've always had a job never been out of work for more than a week. I have lots of hobbies and am pretty talented. Over these ten years maybe more I can't tell you how many hangovers I've had and how many times I've told myself I'm not doing that again. But then later on I'm drinking some beers or nips. Or ill go all week no drinking working out everyday feeling great then the weekend comes I drink on a Saturday night maybe half a pint, or like 4 or 5 ipa beers and I'm all hungover the next day and feel like death and regret. I'm lucky I haven't got any duis.I really feel like I shouldn't drink anymore. But there is always that craving. I'm not an extreme alcoholic I would say a binge drinker. Just figured I would share. I would love to go a full year with full commitment I know I can do it. I feel like I've wasted a lot of valuable time due to alcohol. But In my own right I'm pretty successful got my own place great job.I feel like i really just have to commit and follow through. Its definetly a hindrance
On my life .
I started as a weekend binge drinker in high school and college, but by my early 30s my binges were lasting 5-6 full days at a time. You are right to look into the issue now, it can escalate far worse to where you do not have any control at all.

Welcome aboard.