Notices

Day 2ish

Old 06-14-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2ish

Well, I am almost through with day 2. Wish I could call it day 3, but since I had a glass of wine to start the 1st day before saying done it really is day 2.

Been a long time drinker, heavy on weekends and pretty heavy on weekdays. Been like this for 20 years. Realizing it's time to quit, before it does effect my job.

Feeling bloated like crazy and painful stomach. Hope nothing really bad is happening. Feeling tired all the time now. Did others feel bloated after quitting?

Found this site and from what it sounds like it could help posting here everyday. Reading the stories makes me realize others are having same struggles.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2017, 09:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcome Done4ever. I really like that name. Many of us found it hard to imagine never drinking again, but in reality it was the only option, and it has to be good making a start with that whole hearted desire to stop for good.

The only question remaining is how can it be done. Some folks can just decide to stop, and they can do it. I wasn't one of those. I had many day ones, like you describe. I wanted to stop. It was my firm intention never to take another drink, and if you had put a lie detector on me, it would have said I was telling the absolute truth.

Yet later that same day, having just faced the consequences of my drinking, the sickness, and remorse all fresh in my mind, with every sane reason to not drink, I would find myself on my third before I remembered I wasn't supposed to be drinking. By then it was too late, the craving kicked in and I lost control for another spell. The cycle just kept repeating.

So that was my type of alcoholism, for which there is a solution too. I guess the first thing to figure out is exactly the extent of the problem. When you know that, you can choose a solution.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the community done4ever
do you have any ideas on what you'll do to stay sober?

D
Old 06-14-2017, 11:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done4Ever View Post

Feeling bloated like crazy and painful stomach. Hope nothing really bad is happening. Feeling tired all the time now. Did others feel bloated after quitting?

Thanks
The first week is the worst , I did not feel bloated but yes I was tired all the time probably because I could not sleep , it will take time for you body to adjust to not having any alcohol anymore.

keep going you are doing great
Old 06-15-2017, 12:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 06-15-2017, 02:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 06-15-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR Done4Ever,good decision. I did not feel bloated though I did feel very tired early on (paradoxically I couldn't get to sleep either).
Old 06-15-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Done4Ever.. welcome to SR.

I wanted to say respect to you for making the decision to call it quits then and there, despite having had a glass of wine that morning. We have a tendency to say 'I'll stop tomorrow' 'I'll just finish this bottle' 'I've already ruined today so I might as well carry on and start day 1 tomorrow'...and you didn't...so for what its worth in my eyes I'd say your day 1 was the day you called an end to the damage after that glass of wine. Of course what is most important is that you MADE the decision and have started your recovery journey...wishing you well 💜
Old 06-15-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 3ish

Thanks everyone.

Well, hasn't been too bad. Thinking about how crappy I've felt all those mornings after drinking has made me find this not too hard so far. Because there were more days of feeling like crap then there weren't. I figure the weekend will be the hardest, but normally on a Thursday I would of found an excuse to message some people and show up at the bar to start pounding wine.

Coming hear and reading really seems to help also. Thanks for the support everyone.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Done4Ever - it's so good to meet you.

I did have a bloated feeling the first week or so. I also had an assortment of aches & pains, plus I was very emotional. It takes a while to adjust to the new 'us'. I'm very glad you're on Day 3-ish. You'll never regret making this big change in your life.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, done4ever! I am about to be on Day 14, and the first week and a half sucks. I barely slept, I was so angry all of the time (still kind of am), and to cover the alcohol cravings I just ate a lot. You can get through this!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

Day 3 done. I am eating a lot, ice cream seems to be a big craving I have.

I appreciate everyone's support. The weekend will be tough. Usually meant drinking at least 2 bottles of wine on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Sometimes Sunday also.

This site is a big help knowing others struggle also and make it through.

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-16-2017, 12:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Old 06-16-2017, 09:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Friday made it!!!

Had he urge to grab a wine after work but didn't. Would of been easy and then I know I would of said, well how about another one before I go, then why not one more, ah heck 4 isn't that bad, and down the rabbit hole. Feeling good, tired and glad I'm going to wake up feeling normal since I didn't do any of that!!!!

Hopefully tomorrow will be the same.

Happy Friday everyone!
Old 06-17-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fantastic Done4Ever!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 06-17-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you, Done4Ever. Yes, that's it exactly - once that first one hits there's no telling where it will end. I don't recall ever having just one.