Acceptance

Old 10-17-2004, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acceptance

From the Acceptance pamphlet by Vincent P. Collins...

"An old Arab, whose tent was pitched next to a company of whirling dervishes was asked,
'Don't they bother you?'
'No!'
'What do you do about them?'
'I let 'em whirl.'
I caused myself a lot of unecessary grief by trying to be 'unselfish', to think of everybody else first, myself last, and to try and please everybody. But you can't please everybody. You can knock yourself out doing this, that and the other thing to please you cousins and your sisters and your aunts and you find out that they are not really affected one way or the other. Please everybody, nobody's pleased. Please yourself and at least you're pleased. Charity begins at home and enlightened self-interest is a basic endowment of human nature. You can save yourself a lot of grief by admitting the futility of trying to please everybody, or of trying to please somebody who just can't be pleased."
Old 10-18-2004, 05:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you, Gabe, for sharing that inspiration!

ChrisMan
Old 10-19-2004, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One day at a time !

Thanks Gabe !

I had a slow morning, but I made it to work. Five mins. before I went in to work God reminded me that only he can do all things not me. I really am doing the best I can with what I got and who I am. I'm not going to satisfy the whole universe and make life better in a day. One day at a time I do have the courage to change the things I can . My wisdom to know the differance is getting stronger. I had some one yell at me because I did not meet there companies needs, when I realized nothing I said would help I discontinued the conversation. I was angry for a min. until I clicked on to the forum and saw your reading. I feel better now. I accept that I can't please everyone. An old timmer name Ms. Sarah always says that "Life is a series of adjustments".

Vela D.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Vela..."Life is a series of adjustments"...I love it, thanks for that.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A little south of sane

Location: "For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe."
Not so very long ago, I realized that 'my' happiness was contingent on 'everyone'.

I needed/wanted everyone I loved and cared about to be happy first,then I could be happy.

It reminded me of those people that spin plates on long sticks, running from one to the other to the other endlessly keeping as many plates spinning as possible, or else..or else they would what? why crash to the floor that's what.

Somehow if they crashed, or wobbled it was my fault? I decided to stop my plate spinning that day and be happy when "I" could.

hugs
sigh
Old 10-19-2004, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wish I could say that I have given up plate spinning.
But I still participate in it at times.
I do try to catch myself when it gets ridiculous though.
Old habits die hard.