Notices

Day 1 on and off and on again

Old 05-09-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 on and off and on again

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. I want to stop drinking alcohol and have gone about a month in the past, in January 2017. The good: I don't drink everyday, never hard alcohol, I drink red wine only, but a full bottle mostly on weekends and maybe a night during the week. 2-4 bottles per week depending.

It used to be more years ago which is good, sort of, but I am having a really hard time giving it up entirely. I definitely feel I have a problem/issue and my worst times are friday and saturday night after work or when I am on vacation and there is no work the next day.

I am studying to be a holistic nutritionist which has been very helpful in getting my body the nutrients it need to feel better when I stop, which I credit with the longer and longer times in between having a glass of wine.

I don't think a program is the answer though some may not agree with that which is ok, and I certainly would welcome all perspectives, I was hoping I could post on this site for support when I am having those terrible cravings. I really do need help, this has been going on for years and I want it to stop.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try and develop other things you enjoy when you get the cravings. In time, the cravings will diminish, but most likely will take longer than a month. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks FreedomCA, been trying that, it isn't as if I am not busy, with a full time job and attending school it is very busy, but those thoughts really creep in there sometimes when the stress gets high and old habits come to the surface. I am hoping to be able to reach out to this wonderful community so I don't go backward but forward.

Thank you!
Old 05-09-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was a bottle of wine drinker. Somehow the weekends turned into the work week and before I knew it, I was drinking a bottle a day almost everyday. I was becoming someone I did not recognize.

My drinking, emotions, mental and spiritual space became something that needed to change.

You can replace the nights with different rituals. You can become free from alcohol and feel better from it. I am almost two months (this time around) and I feel better than I have ever felt.

I use this forum, friends and family as my anchor. I post daily to encourage others and keep myself safe by having a wholesome routine when I am off work.

I eat dinner, take a bath, read on the forum, watch a series on television or pick up a book. Repeat the next day. These little things have saved me. Keep posting and know that you deserve to be healthy and to reach your highest potential.

You can do this!
Old 05-09-2017, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Most stories I've heard from others, and myself, are that relapses become worse despite all the sober time in between drinking episodes. It still progresses.
There is no way to beat this thing except to stop completely.

I didn't join a program. But for about three weeks I made sobriety my biggest goal each day and devoted most my free time toward fighting my alcoholism. Getting on this board, writing about why I wanted to stop, reviewing parts I underlined from the Big Book as well as Rational Recovery were all helpful.

After a while the urges went away but I still check into this board and will continue to remind myself why I don't want to drink anymore, for the rest of my life.
Make a daily commitment to sobriety and devote lots of time, especially in the beginning.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Artsygirl

I don;t think you have to drink hard liquor every day to destroy your life, or to qualify as an alcoholic...you certainly don't to qualify for membership here

This is a great place of support understanding and encouragement - welcome

D
Old 05-09-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Artsy,

I was very physically and mentally addicted.

It took a medical scare to coax me past 1 month.

I had horrible anxiety for many months and didn't start to feel really clean and successful until over a year clean.

Respect booze. It will fry your body and mind.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Artsy- with respect, I used to say 'but that isn't for me'. Famous last words, them. SR is an excellent place to share, learn and grow. A place to reflect and look at oneself with honesty and safety. Keep posting.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your helpful words. I'm so glad I came here. You are all correct, I know I have a problem, whether it is wine or vodka doesn't matter, I'm still ruining my health. And want/need to stay sober. Want/need to feel good, enjoy my life and stop hurting myself. It is 10:30pm and I have just about made it through day 1! Yea!

I liked your ideas to eat dinner, take a bath, watch something and/or read. Maybe some yoga too to feel healthy. My cravings will start on Friday so I will have to have a plan in place. I'm ready and really grateful to you all for motivating and supporting me in this journey.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You have time to plan out your Friday and Saturday. If creating structured time will help then start now to make the plan a priority. Maybe go to a yoga class that requires you to get up early on Saturday. This will give you a good focus and grounding for the remainder of the day. Repeat the next day.

It will only take a little effort and change to put these "rituals" into place. I know you will feel better for it.

So glad that you have decided to make this change in your life. The benefits are amazing.

Keep posting
Old 05-09-2017, 08:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sober style

Glad you made the scene, Artsy!
Old 05-10-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, Mizzuno and SnazzyDresser, Dee74, D122y, PhoenixJ, FreedomCA.

I am going to adopt the No Tolerance Policy for alcohol. I will remember how much better I feel and look (better skin, no dark circles under my eyes, etc.) when I abstain. So No Tolerance.

I will plan my Friday and Saturday evenings - having an hour by hour will help me. It is important for me to have something to do. And that is a great idea to do the yoga first thing to set the tone for the weekend.

You guys are awesome, I'm grateful to you all.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi artsygirl, welcome to SR. This is a great place for advice, support and help. I come here several times each day. I too did not drink hard liquor, only beer--but it still brought me close to death and the destruction of everything good in my life. I realize that if I drink again I will die. So far I have 17 months of sobriety and while my life is not perfect it is infinitely better and I have such feelings of freedom and gratitude. I do yoga and it helps me relax. I also practice my bass and do volunteer work to get myself out of my own headspace. I wish you all the best in your journey.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah, for me I'd tell myself that because I wasn't drinking "hard liquor" I wasn't an alcoholic or an alcohol abuser. Boy was I wrong. I'm only on my 5th day of not drinking beer but there's really no benefit for me to drink, literally none. I thought about this long and hard on my day one. I'm tired of being embarrassed or not remembering what I might have done the night prior with all of the beer I'd drink.