Notices

Making a commitment to myself

Old 04-26-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Making a commitment to myself

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around here for quite some time. Thinking I don't have a problem - until I drink. Then I realize I do. I'm not an every day drinker, maybe 1-2 times a month but when I do, I go overboard. I'm a binge drinker. I'll down an entire bottle of wine in 1-2 hrs, then want more. My husband went out of town for a business trip on Monday so I thought I would enjoy myself and have a bottle of wine. The fact that I was doing it and hoping he wouldn't find out made me realize that I definitely do have a problem.

I guess that's how I justified it, Oh - it's only 1 time this month so no big deal. But it is. I'm tired of feeling like crap for doing it, and having the nastiest hangovers. So I've decided to commit to stop drinking. My husband did it over 2 years ago - guess I'm just a little on the slow side I've tried to quit a few times, and it usual ends up the same, oh I haven't drank in a month, 1 time won't hurt....

I hate how drinking is so glamorized in our society, I see shows with people drinking and they make it look so wonderful! The reality is that it's not for must of us with problems. I Just have to realize, I'm not one of those people that can have "just 1 glass of wine" without it turning into a full blown drunken mess.

I'm reading the resources available here, putting together a plan and hoping that this time it will stick. I know that the only way to make this happen is to make sure I have support in place to keep me sober.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

It will stick, stick around it's so worth it
Old 04-26-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, welcome to the posting side of SR. There are a lot of good resources and people on here to bounce ideas off of when you have questions.

Drinking always looks so glamorous, doesn't it? Everyone looks like they're having such a fun time. The experiences are that much more enhanced because everyone is under the influence of a mind altering substance. I have to see beyond that to reality. The companies that sell anything sell the dream. Liquor companies wouldn't make much money if their ads showed people getting sloshed by themselves in the living room while watching TV. Or the drunken bum I see sometimes with the ill fitting, dirty trousers, stumbling across the street. I got angry yesterday when I saw a story about a "yoga/beer consciousness" class. Mindful meditation and yoga while incorporating drinking the beer while doing the yoga.

It took me a long time to realize that I didn't need an alcoholic beverage in my hand to enjoy anything. Keep coming back!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NotPerfect71 View Post
I hate how drinking is so glamorized in our society, I see shows with people drinking and they make it look so wonderful!
This! I totally agree. I binge watched Mad Men and holy goodness.. Did I ever want my very own bar cart in my living room to serve whiskey out of crystal glasses. Or when I watch Olivia Pope sip wine all authoritative out of her long stemmed glasses. Definitely viewing those shows with new eyes now...
Old 04-26-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like a great start NotPerfect - welcome to posting!

D
Old 04-26-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad to hear you are committed to sobriety. As you said, making a plan is a good idea. You will become less bothered by the glamorization of drinking as you move along in recovery.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Welcome NP. Ever tried a meeting?
Old 04-26-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I hope our support can help you get sober for good.