ABs 11 year old son thinks it's his fault :(

Old 04-23-2017, 05:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ABs 11 year old son thinks it's his fault :(

My mom called last night and told me that my AB had gone out Saturday night and not returned til late Monday night. (His DOC is crack.) They got the call from ABs XGF to pick up their grabdson so they did. While babysitting their grandson, he confided that he thinks it's his fault his dad goes out. This breaks my heart. Should I call CPS? They have been called many many times and nothing changes. My parents are changing their plans and coming back up where I live earlier than planned and staying for the summer. (They have 2 homes - one near me and one 500 miles south near AB.)
Old 04-23-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

TS- a troubling story. I can offer little advice? Is the boy in danger? Perhaps al-anon could offer you assistance. Still offering empathy and support. Keep posting.
PJ
Old 04-23-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well he's not at this moment in danger. All of my ABs enablers jump in and rescue my nephew. This time my parents watched him. He's been watched by neighbors Xwife XGF you name it. But he has also been left alone. The thing that has changed recently is that AB told his so about the drug use and so this past time my nephew knew what his dad was doing. Isn't that abuse to tell your son "I'm going out. I'll be back soon. "? And for the 11 year old to know his dad is out doing coke (really crack -but I think he told his son he's doing coke) and blaming himself for not being a better kid?!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, that is sad, Troubled. Your nephew needs some stability and consistency in his life. I gather his mom can't be reliably counted on?
Children look to adults for love amd guidance. When the flawed adults can't provide it, the child often blames him or herself.
He needs to know that this mess is not of his making. Is there a way you can provide that? Facetime, maybe, or skype on a regular basis?
Old 04-23-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Could CPS help you find some counseling for him? He needs a safe place and help processing the truth of this.

Poor little guy.