Notices

Day 67 not a terrible day but not the best.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 67 not a terrible day but not the best.

Hey there,
Thought i would check in with SR! Haven't posted here in a little while. My routine has been pretty good in that i've been hitting meetings, working, exercising and trying to focus on myself. Today was kind of tricky. My sponsor and I were supposed to meet at 4:30 and he pushed our meeting back to 5:00. He then texted me that he'd be there around 5:30. I'm kind of pissed off at this **** with him. He's done this a number of times and to me makes me feel like he doesn't respect my time. I know he runs a small biz and his life can be chaotic sometimes but i'm beginning to wonder if he's the right fit for me. I need someone whose stable and is RELIABLE. Sorry just wanted to vent. Other than that my life is pretty good and grateful for the life i have. : )
Thanks for listening!
Garrison
Old 04-20-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Garrison...way to go on 67 days ! Looks like you've got a solid plan and you're work'in it! Congrats!

As for your sponsor being unreliable, totally understandable. I would be ticked off too! I would also let him know that your time is as valuable as his.

Again, congratulations!
Old 04-20-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks so much Creative Thinker! I'm learning to stand my ground more in my sobriety and if a particular incident puts my serenity in jeopardy then i deal with it like my serenity is the holy grail. Ive had a couple other tests this week from certain people in my life.
One is a homeless friend who i've really helped through the years. I actually had a place lined up for him to live. He just had to come up with a few hundred for rent and he couldn't do it. Instead of working and saving money he spends his money on expensive watches. This program has taught me to accept the things that i cannot change. That used to be something i'd drink over. Not any more. He has his life and his decisions are his.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Makes perfect sense to me...stand your ground! Did you confront your sponsor?

As for your homeless friend, what I nice gesture of you! I thought that you were going to say that he spent the $ on booze. A watch???

BTW- I'm not far behind you...I'll hit 2 months on Saturday. Whoo hoo... At this juncture, I have good days and bad days. Today was a good day. Sleeping patterns are still a challenge but from what I'm learning here on SR, it takes some people up to 6 months before they begin sleeping well.

I noticed that you mentioned that exercise is one of your tools to staying sober. I totally agree. I'm finding that if I don't get some form of exercise each day, I struggle, feel sluggish, negative, irritable... The days I work out...I'm good to go. It's amazing how "clear" I feel once the switch has been flipped.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice congrats on Day 58! Yeah exercise is definately a key for me too. What else helps you to stay sober? I feel the same way you do if i don't get some in exercise. I monitor HALT to deal. This just happened to be a day where i was a little agitated overall, didn't get any exercise and my sponsor changed plans. I'm going to mention to him that i'd like it if we made plans that we stuck with them. I need someone dependable.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good plan in regards to speaking with your sponsor.

Currently, my sobriety program consists of daily exercise, SR, and awesome therapist and a lot of reading about this hellish addiction. I went to AA years ago and while I learned a lot from the program...read the BB and worked a step program, it's not 100% for me... There's so many different programs to dig into!

My plan is to continue investing my time into looking at all avenues of recovery and decide which program is best for me. In the end, I'll most likely draw from several different programs. Who says we need to stick to just one? As long as we work a successful program, find recovery, live a healthy and fulfilling life and never drink again... who cares which method we use?

For now, I feel that I have a solid footing and the tools that I need to keep my AV at bay, until I ramp up my recovery program.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats
Old 04-21-2017, 12:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey comtnman740 - kudos on the milestone

I've have a very busy week and I had to push back some of my meetings too, so I'm looking from the other side...

could it be maybe your sponsor has some 'life stuff' going on?

D
Old 04-21-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for your posts!
Creative Thinker - I'm with you in that there are many ways to stay sober. I think the more creative we are with our sobriety the more tools we have in our toolbox and the better off we are.
Dee - My sponsor runs his own business so sometimes i feel like he's trying to juggle alot. Honestly i think he's a pretty lonely guy. He talks about women he dates and is kind of needy sometimes. He's a good guy with 20+ years of sobriety. Everyone has their ups and downs though. I'm grateful that he's taking me through the steps. I'm going to make sure i keep a line of communication open about the rescheduling thing though so that does irritate me. Thanks for your support!
Garrison