Notices

Zero Energy

Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Zero Energy

I quit drinking about 2 weeks ago. I have no energy at all. I drag my body out of bed every morning and just stumble through the day. When I was coming home every night and filling up on beer I had all kinds of energy.

I have done a ton of reading about all kinds of foods that help give us energy it really seems that most medical sites contradict one another and I give up. Seriously if I have to eat one more fruit or vegetable I swear I am going to gag.

I know you all can not give medical advise and I have to wait tell next Tuesday to get in to see a doctor so all I am asking is what worked for you that does not involve leaves LOL

I have never been a big eater but also have not been a very healthy eater either. My routine is

Up at about 6am, 2 -3 cups of coffee. Toast (Whole Grain) about 8:00am. 10ish a fruit. Noon another freaking salad usually with chicken in it. 2ish another piece of fruit. Around 3 I have some sort of cracker munchie then about 9pm a couple pieces of toast. I drink water all day long.

I am needing some energy and need some help.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I experienced significant lethargy when I stopped drinking; it lasted a good while.

It seems to be a coo on experience in early sobriety. My humble theory is that the body needs to expend significant energy in healing the damage done from alcoholism and, therefore, deliberately slows us down so that it has that energy to expend.

Listen to your body; rest when you can. Eat healthful meals. Rest again

Your energy levels should return to normal, in time
Old 04-18-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe adding in a bit of protein in the morning? Do you like eggs? Maybe even a hard boiled egg with a little salt on it to eat along side your toast? (Now I'm getting hungry!)
Old 04-18-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Insignia,

I'm no doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but to the extent I can, I try to center my diet around lean proteins (chicken, fish, lean red meat), vegetables and whole grains. I go VERY light with the sugar and starch (e.g. breads, crackers, baked goods in general). It's not for weight loss or energy, but it does minimize the energy spikes and declines that can be caused by heavy sugar and starch intake -- and it's the way I like to eat anyway.

Having said all that, when I first quit drinking, I absolutely craved sugar. I just sort of went with it for a while, as it was better than drinking. But eventually those cravings subsided, too.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This may be a bit counter-intuitive, but actually exercising may help.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post

Yes.

And Insignia....you need SLEEP!!!!!

(Lots of it!)
Old 04-18-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with horn. I started getting more energy the last couple of days after I started working out again. I'm on day 10 and started working out 3 days ago. My energy throughout the day has improved drastically. I also went to green tea and replaced one fruit with a protein bar instead.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

you'll need to resign yourself to an acceptance that things are going to be a little odd, a little bumpy, a little challenging for a while in sobriety.

I can totally relate. In many ways - I had 'more energy' in active boozing. Turns out, having an extra 5,000 calories a day in alcohol (which is converted to sugar) is part of that.

Part of it is also the illusion of having 'energy' that your brain gets from getting its fix.

The first year of sobriety was all over the place for me with regard to energy, mood, attitude, sleep issues, dietary changes, weight gain / loss.... things stabilized after that and generally settled into a new normal. A better normal.

Even today, I sometimes feel like I don't have the "energy" I had while drinking - but I have an overall much more energetically positive life. I'm healthy and happy and grateful. Sure, there are things I'm working toward and nutritionally / medically I have goals to see myself improve my fitness and energy levels - but doing it in sobriety I know that I will be developing a more long-term realistic level of 'fit energy for life'.

Anyway.... go easy on yourself. Don't set your expectations too high and don't get too down if you're just feeling blah and exhausted and even blue. That's all OK, too..

This isn't forever. Sobriety evolves - and it evolves in consistently positive directions.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good time to speak to a Dr about nutrition

What's your current food intake
Old 04-18-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I have looked it up and it does seem that the constant fatigue is part of withdraw so going to take some of your suggestions. Add some protein to my morning and try to get more exercise, just need to hope spring happens here soon so I can get out more. I wish I could get more sleep but have to be up for work every day and I don't have vacation tell July uggg. I did have 3 days off for the Easter weekend and I did sleep a lot but today I am off but no energy to do much but have a million things to do.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Article on the usefulness of exercise is Detox/recovery.

http://www.quitalcohol.com/detox/importance-exercise-detox.html
Old 04-18-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

perhaps counter-intuitively, one of the best things I've found to help with energy is to get moving and get exercise.....

Often, I'd get stuck in a cycle of inactivity with an sense of disappointment - as though if I couldn't go out and run or lift or do what I "used to" be able to do, it wasn't worth doing ANTYHING.

To counter that, at my times of lowest energy I'd make a point to just get out the door in the morning and take a walk. Even just a 20 minute walk - ideally along the lakeshore or in the woods - at the very beginning of the day, can be a total game-changer. Rather than put it off, and then gradually just let it slip away entirely and feel not only low-energy but now also depressed; I'd just go DO it. That, incredibly, began to set a positive tone for the whole day and before I knew it, the walks were more frequently runs, I had more energy and a better attitude, and often found myself doing a workout later in the day, too.

Sometimes, it all really does start with just simply moving in the right direction with whatever we've got.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I was very disheartened when I first quit drinking that it seemed like all I could do was sleep, eat, and cry. And I wasn't eating much besides lots of sugar. I got over the worst of the emotional stuff within a couple of weeks, but the lethargy and low energy did last a while longer. I still want to eat more sugar than I probably should. Working on that now. Listen to your body. Sleep whenever you can. DRINK LOTS OF WATER. Do try to get some exercise, even if it's a 15-minute walk. It will all get better, and soon you'll probably be feeling fine.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Depending on your drinking habits, it could take quite awhile for your body to stabilize. I agree with others, if you feel you are healthy enough to exercise, sometimes I think putting ourselves through an hour of misery exercising kind of "breaks" us loose and gets us going.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A nice walk in the morning is a great idea. Just need to have a few days above 0 and no more snow. I can't really do the gym. I am a germaphobe to a small degree and gyms freak me out.

I have managed to do 2 loads of laundry and made a huge pot of split pea soup. My energy level is starting to pick up for today. This is kind of how every day goes. Once this last load dries I'm going to go do some grocery shopping. I have added eggs, salmon, chicken and nuts to my list. Hope more of this kind of things helps. Seems all I can do is wait it out but do all I can to try to get this fatigue to go as quick as possible.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's pretty common I think - I had no energy at all for a long time - 3 months really - but it came back .

My last detox had a few problems to it tho - your mileage may vary .

D
Old 04-18-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Diet is a biggie- a planned approach with advice is a good idea
Old 04-18-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I was very disheartened when I first quit drinking that it seemed like all I could do was sleep, eat, and cry..
Sorry for laughing like a drain (no idea what that means and may just be a UK expression) but that describes me!!

I've just read an article which goes in to detail about protein and mental and physical health.

It was a bit high-brow but the basis of it was eat protein in the morning leads to an energy filled day.

I am no nutritionist but is was in depth enough to fire me up for a bacon sarnie every morning!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post

BINGO!!! Horn has the right idea! When I don't get at least 20-30 min of exercise daily, I feel lethargic, sluggish, depressed... Yesterday was one of those days. I got up intending to work out but then pushed it off and made up excuses...my day sucked! This morning I got up and got back into my workout routine and vuala...I'm back to feeling "clear" and energetic again.