Notices

Booze Brain

Old 04-13-2017, 02:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Booze Brain

Hi all
I had my last bender on Saturday night 8/4/2017.
I made a promise to myself on the 9/4 that I was going to taper down and totally quit after Easter.
So I made a routine – 4 mid strength beers a night = 4 standard drinks – still not under the guidelines but so much better than the usual amount.
Routine was
Come home from work at 6pm cook dinner and go to bed at 10pm so I only had 4 hours to deal with and could just sip on those 4 beers without the guzzle.
I did that Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and felt great.
Husband rings me at 5pm today saying he has to stay late at work so don’t bother cooking tonight.
My mind went into total panic, it was like WTF am I going to now, the self-talk was so unreasonable, really, it takes an hour to cook and eat and then half an hour to clean up - but such a small thing flipped my brain is saying yay we can get hammered and be in bed before he gets home.
So I have spent that 1.5hr having a nice long shower and reading SR.
But it just shows how much of a bastard the booze is - not just to your body but your mind
Thanks
Corinda X
Old 04-13-2017, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Corinda. Keep sharing and posting. There is a lot of info in the Sticky's that might be useful for you. Have you thought of joining the 'class of April 2017' thread- in the newcomer's area? I tried to do controlled drinking- even was made to do it by one boss instead of abstinence (what a wonderful victim I was) and I was a complete failure at it. I cannot drink. I am alcoholic and need on the ground support with meetings, here and professional support.
Support to you. Keep posting.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Corinda View Post
Hi all
I had my last bender on Saturday night 8/4/2017.
I made a promise to myself on the 9/4 that I was going to taper down and totally quit after Easter.
So I made a routine – 4 mid strength beers a night = 4 standard drinks – still not under the guidelines but so much better than the usual amount.
Routine was
Come home from work at 6pm cook dinner and go to bed at 10pm so I only had 4 hours to deal with and could just sip on those 4 beers without the guzzle.
I did that Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and felt great.
Husband rings me at 5pm today saying he has to stay late at work so don’t bother cooking tonight.
My mind went into total panic, it was like WTF am I going to now, the self-talk was so unreasonable, really, it takes an hour to cook and eat and then half an hour to clean up - but such a small thing flipped my brain is saying yay we can get hammered and be in bed before he gets home.
So I have spent that 1.5hr having a nice long shower and reading SR.
But it just shows how much of a bastard the booze is - not just to your body but your mind
Thanks
Corinda X
Welcome, Corinda. Your post is so on point. Our brains will jump at any opportunity to get hammered. Congrats on the decision to quit. You need to build up and strengthen your plan. Dee and some of the other guys and gals here usually have the link to the thread on a sobriety plan on hand but I can only direct you to the stickys like PJ has done. You handled this first bump in the road beautifully. Continue to do so.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you thought through that Corinda - great call

D
Old 04-13-2017, 03:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It gets easier I promise!!

In the first month I gave up, I had to keep busy in the evening. I worked in the day, but evening I had time on my hands.

I kept busy.

I got back into reading novels, went to the gym, cooked, sorted out crap for car boot sales, did my nails, sorted out photo's on my lap top. I even went for a drive with loud music on to clear my head. I used to drink to excess every night so could never drive on an evening.

I would sit in night after night, same spot on the sofa. Same hideous cheap wine glass, same rubbish on TV, never remembering going to bed.

I had to get off the sofa, smash my glass and turn the TV off.

I don't know if I would say it was hard, it was different to the routine I had had for years and years.
I originally stopped for a month. Here I am 5 years later. Still not gone back to drinking.

If you want it, you can have it too.
Bit of hard work at the start, but the rewards are endless.

I wish you the best xx
Old 04-13-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Corinda!!