how can some people be so foolish

Old 04-11-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how can some people be so foolish

A couple I know allowed a "friend" back into their lives and even staying overnight on the weekends in their home where their adult daughter also lived and had been staying clean for a few years. This "friend" had been in and out of incarceration for 7 years because of his drug addiction. Their adult daughter had been a recovering addict for a few years and was doing well until the "friend" came back into the picture. I cannot comprehend why a parent would risk their child's soberity by allowing a "friend" into their home when he has problems with alcohol and drugs. The only thing I can think of is the couple like having a drinking buddy around so they allowed him back into their lives instead of putting theie daughter's soberity first. I don't the dynamic of alcohol and drug addiction. There was some obvious codependency going on. It's really sad from what I've seen and heard. Eventually, it all came crashing down with the daughter using drugs again and the "friend" had been arrested again
Old 04-11-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

We can't stop an addict from relapsing but bringing someone to the home like that is a bad idea. The daughter living at home should have had a say, or barring that, she should have had the opportunity to go some place safer while the visitor was there.

It's a sad situation but again, we are powerless over the choices of others, however bad those choices may be.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stuff happens we see, that is crap and out of our control. Empathy to your friends. Remember YOUR triggers. Support to you, keep posting,. PJ
Old 04-11-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by SarahBear View Post
A couple I know allowed a "friend" back into their lives and even staying overnight on the weekends in their home where their adult daughter also lived and had been staying clean for a few years. This "friend" had been in and out of incarceration for 7 years because of his drug addiction. Their adult daughter had been a recovering addict for a few years and was doing well until the "friend" came back into the picture. I cannot comprehend why a parent would risk their child's soberity by allowing a "friend" into their home when he has problems with alcohol and drugs. The only thing I can think of is the couple like having a drinking buddy around so they allowed him back into their lives instead of putting theie daughter's soberity first. I don't the dynamic of alcohol and drug addiction. There was some obvious codependency going on. It's really sad from what I've seen and heard. Eventually, it all came crashing down with the daughter using drugs again and the "friend" had been arrested again
How can people be so foolish? Easy: they're in denial.

The reason why they're in denial is because they probably know deep down that allowing such a "friend" within a zip code of their home is probably a bad idea given his history. Maybe they felt if they opened up their home, the friend would behave. Maybe they felt their daughter would be OK around such a person. Either way, they didn't allow themselves to know what they know, and when that happens, bad things usually follow. It happens all the time. And it will happen again to someone else...
Old 04-12-2017, 04:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Either way, they didn't allow themselves to know what they know, and when that happens, bad things usually follow. It happens all the time. And it will happen again to someone else...
Wise words from someone whose been there.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It sounds like this couple had all the making of the perfect dysfunctional storm…..

The couple drinks…

Allowed a known drug addict ex con to come live in their home….

And codependency going on….

Dysfunctional people do not realize they are dysfunctional.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoso77 View Post
How can people be so foolish? Easy: they're in denial.

The reason why they're in denial is because they probably know deep down that allowing such a "friend" within a zip code of their home is probably a bad idea given his history. Maybe they felt if they opened up their home, the friend would behave. Maybe they felt their daughter would be OK around such a person. Either way, they didn't allow themselves to know what they know, and when that happens, bad things usually follow. It happens all the time. And it will happen again to someone else...
Interesting perspective. Maybe they didn't want to "see" the bad consequences of what could happen so they stayed in denial by allowing him into their home thinking he'd behave and not judge him. They didn't want to see that they were playing with fire.

Then they want to play the "victim" when things go haywire.

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
It sounds like this couple had all the making of the perfect dysfunctional storm…..

The couple drinks…

Allowed a known drug addict ex con to come live in their home….

And codependency going on….

Dysfunctional people do not realize they are dysfunctional.
I read somewhere alcoholics seem to attract drug addics. Maybe thinking they can "save" them and they can be extremely loyal to them even when it's undeserved.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I read somewhere alcoholics seem to attract drug addics. Maybe thinking they can "save" them and they can be extremely loyal to them even when it's undeserved.
Or maybe they can surround themselves with like-minded people and not feel insecure or uncomfortable or judged.

I don’t know many active alcoholics who would chose to hang out with sober none drinking people on a regular basis.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Or maybe they can surround themselves with like-minded people and not feel insecure or uncomfortable or judged.

I don’t know many active alcoholics who would chose to hang out with sober none drinking people on a regular basis.
Only if they can be used to their advantage, usually like being a DD. That is my perspective from what I've noticed. I no longer associate with them on a regular basis. I prefer to hang around with friends who stay sober.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

Not wise indeed.

Having said that ... I am a recovering addict myself and I would hope those around me would care about me enough to stand with me, but unfortunately that is not always the case and the reality is that it my responsibility to (at all cost) protect my recovery if it is threatened in any way. I need to stand up and speak up for my recovery. No one else can keep me clean except me. If I find myself in a sticky situation it is up to me to get out.

If I relapse I have no one to point the finger at but myself.

We live in a world where addiction exsist... drugs and the people who use them are around every corner ... Fact of life is Recovering addicts must learn have to navigate through life and keep their recovery intact regardless of what others do or don't do.

Passion
Recovering addict