Notices

The start of Day 7

Old 04-10-2017, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The start of Day 7

Hi,
I had my last drink April 3, 2017. For a long time, I woke up in the morning swearing, this will be the day. By noon the feeling was gone, by 4 the drive was in full gear and by 9 PM I was drunk (again).
Now when I wake up, I celebrate the beginning of each new day sober. Today, even though it won't be day seven competed until midnight, I am already excited that it is day 7.
I am dreading Easter because it is a big family dinner and all the pitfalls that includes.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Sean

you'll find a lot of support here.

My advice for Easter, and all the weeks months and years ahead, is - remember you do not have to drink ever again

use the support here and make all the changes that you need to to better reflect your desire to stay sober.

If a family Easter cannot be avoided, there are some very good and useful tips here:

make a plan...think about the likely scenarios and pitfalls...be ready - and always have an exit strategy

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...val-guide.html

You can absolutely stay sober over Easter - many of us here intend to do just that - join us
D
Old 04-10-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sean. Keep going.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Sean, congratulations. You've really nailed the mental difference between white-knuckling sober and going into sobriety willingly. It's a very good sign.

Re Easter: do whatever it takes to avoid drinking. If it means skipping Easter for just this year, then do it.

If you really feel you have to attend, I've found from experience the best tactic is to get a big glass of soda water, or whatever soft-drink you like, into your hand the moment you hit the party. Make sure you've eaten a little beforehand, and aren't tired or stressed. You can plan all this in advance. Planning and preparation are everything. Leave early if you feel like you're weakening.

I hope your family are supportive. You can get through this; in fact if you prepare well you might find you sail through. The real challenges are often unexpected.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sean,

I'm right with you. My last drunk was April Fools Day. I think that's pretty appropriate. We were on vacation and on April 2nd my wife told me when we get home she wants me to move out. There's more to the story but I'm short on time right now just thought I'd say hi!

If you're game, I'm with you. Today's day 8/9.

jk
Old 04-10-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, this is amazing. Thank you so much. . Keep moving forward!
Old 04-10-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you Sean,
I'm still learning to deal with certain social functions. As time goes on it gets easier. Stay the course my friend
Old 04-10-2017, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A week is great Sean! Congrats! As for Easter, don't let that be your undoing. Offending a couple family members by leaving early or not showing up is a way better end than surrendering your sobriety. You are at a point where you need to guard your sobriety under all circumstances. Some possible Easter tools: an escape plan, a really bad head cold that seems to be going around, confiding in at least one person who is going to be there that will provide you with support, a smart phone so that you can post here while at your Easter events, someone to call for support while there, getting exercise and good rest before you attend.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sean!! Day 7 is fantastic!!
Old 04-10-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Sean. Those first few days are rough - I'm so glad you made it through. Being here really helped with my anxiety in the early months. It was very comforting to be understood by those who have been there. Welcome
Old 04-10-2017, 06:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job!!! Is it feasible to give yourself a timeframe to stay during Easter!!?? Stay in today the best you can!! Thank you for sharing
Old 04-10-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

IMG_9904.JPG

Congrats to all celebrating a milestone today!
Old 04-10-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

IMG_9892.JPG

Love this!❤️
Old 04-12-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Sean, How you doing? Day 10/11 for us. I'm good, still some headaches might be stress related now (I own my own business) but sober for the last 11 days. Sleep better and my wife hasn't kicked me out yet!! LOL

jk
Old 04-12-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

OK Day 9 is here! Day 8 was rough, best thing I did when I went after work was to lay down for a nap and slept straight through. My wife is still drinking so I am trying to avoid the "sit and stare at the TV hour" when I used to drink with her.
I read a couple of posts where folks have more energy, but come mid day I am exhausted. Does that sound familiar to anyone else?
Thanks!
Old 04-12-2017, 06:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh yeah.. Exhaustion. That is your body burning calories to begin the repair process. In our drinking we can do a lot of damage you can't see. Our liver starts healing, kidneys, bladder, stomach, heart, you name it. Eat every chance you get. But healthy stuff and drink lots of water to flush the system. In about a week your going to have more energy than you know what to do with. But be careful that's when people start thinking they have this thing under control. The internal healing can take months, years even depending on how much and for how long.

You're doing very well for less than two weeks in. Keep it up it gets even better.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Sean, How's it going? Day 12/13 for us!

jk

Old 04-14-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was exhausted for a long time Sean... but your energy comes back

D