Notices

Seeing things different

Old 03-23-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeing things different

I was on my break today and just decided to look through photos on my phone and my Facebook. I found myself looking at them and realizing which ones I was drunk during the time. I'm not one to be in photos so it is mostly scenery or my children or pets. I can't tell you how many of them I knew I was drinking at the time. There was an album of photos from our back yard and spring flowers and my one daughter and new dog at the time. I thought back and realized how drunk I was. All this time I had no idea the reality of my addiction and how I functioned drunk a lot of the time. Having more clarity is helping me see the reality. I also feel a lot of shame.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard in early recovery as we look back and see things with clarity. I was sure that no one outside of my immediate family knew I was drinking because I always drank at home, alone. Not so. And, yes, the shame comes, but then you must shake off the shame and not allow it to drag you down. Be proud of how you are changing.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, how many of us do that. I am always caught short by photos of how under the influence I look plus the bloated and weight gained look. Its never easy viewing.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know just what you mean as well.

It feels SO good to build a cache of current, sober pictures of my LIFE. I was just saying to my boyfriend that in addition to pictures of us from the past year, I am loving being able to take ones with friends and family that are clear, happy and of moments I am so lucky to have.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I deleted a Facebook picture where I was obviously trashed in the middle of the day.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There's a fair number of holidays (before I started recovery) with my family that I was just, wasted. I don't have photographic evidence for the most part (thank goodness). But I'd be drinking wine out of a mug and my mom would be, like, does it smell like wine? Uh, no. I don't smell anything.