Notices

Baclofen!!!!

Old 03-22-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Baclofen!!!!

Hey everyone!

I started taking Baclofen (used mainly for MS but off label for cravings and anxiety) from my GP on my last detox (about 18 days ago) along with a four day Valium taper for alcohol WD (I didn't have any apart from sweating).

Well after four days on Baclofen 3x 20mg a day I had zero anxiety!! Last long detox was for a month and still suffered from anxiety, not as bad as when I was drinking but about 60% better.

I posted this on the anxiety forum bit in more detail but basically I drank to stop the anxiety in the past to stop anxiety, roll on a few years and I was drinking all day pretty much.

Well I was on day 15 and off to London sober and no Valium for a date and interview. I bought a bottle of wine for the train incase my anxiety played up but I didn't have any at all!! Zero anxiety and no craving for booze at all!

Interview went well and went for a meal with my date and had a great time. I know moderation is not recommended here but I shared a bottle of wine over supper and I didn't want any more. Next morning, zero cravings and was worried my anxiety would come back but it didn't!

Next day I went shopping in busy London and on the tubes etc (something I would never of been able to do before Baclofen) and felt fine, had some coffee during the day and had a amazing time with friends.

That evening we all went out and I did binge drink, nothing like before, maybe 4-5 pints and felt hungover in the morning but still no anxiety and no desire or need to touch the wine in my suitcase. I know about kindling and had no WD's at all.

Not touched a drop since Saturday night and not felt the need to drink at all and again, zero anxiety!!

I just wish so bloody much I found out about these tablets before. Four years of my life have been a mess because of anxiety and using drink to cope with it.

I know I cannot give medical advice but if anyone was in a situation like me and used alcohol to null anxiety and ended up drink way to much, speak to your GP!!

I've had the best weekend in over four years as I haven't drank to excess and just felt normal. I'm so happy!

Only side effects is that I'm slightly more sleepy (good as I don't need to take Nytol (OTC sleeping aid) and fell asleep on the sofa on Sunday night and woke up at 7am with a (cold) cup of tea in my hand and a slightly sore neck as I just dropped my head down and was in a weird sleeping position, again, I've never been able to sleep in a chair or on a sofa upright!

So please, it might not work for everyone but enquire with you GP.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Also, just to add, I've gone from smoking 20 a day to about 7-10 also!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I shared a bottle of wine over supper and I didn't want any more.
That evening we all went out and I did binge drink, nothing like before, maybe 4-5 pints and felt hungover in the morning but still no anxiety and no desire or need to touch the wine in my suitcase.
I hate to burst anyones bubble - but if it was me I'd want better results hopscotch?

One of the absolute truths of recovery for me is that I have no control once I drink alcohol.
I could maintain the semblance of 'normal' drinking for a little while, sometimes, but not for long.

It seems like you're taking an each way bet here

I'm not trying to upset you either.
I'm trying to be a friend who's giving you good advice.

D
Old 03-22-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Dee,

I fully understand you.

I drank heavily to null the anxiety. Before that started four years ago and out of the blue I was just a typical guy drinking at the weekends.

I'm not going to lie, I might depending on workload etc have a drink this weekend. I wouldn't go out of my way to do it, it would be nice to catch up with friends
Old 03-22-2017, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mixing alcohol and Baclofen is a bad idea. You may want to talk with your doctor about this one.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Mixing alcohol and Baclofen is a bad idea. You may want to talk with your doctor about this one.
I spoke with my doctor and was told you can drink until you hit your 'switch'. Some people is up to 200mg+ a day. Im on a steady 60mg.

Practical Protocol for Prescribing Baclofen in Alcohol Addiction ? Baclofen Treatment for Alcoholism

I didn't drink when I started Baclofen. Only last weekend.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you're excited Hopscotch and I want to allow everyone the freedom to share their experience but lets remember this is a recovery site.

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
A thread promoting Baclofen (or anything) as any way to drink normally is really not appropriate, especially in a Newcomers forum.

Please be mindful of that folks.

Many pills have promised 'normality' - they've all made someone lots of money - but I've yet to see one deliver for any appreciable amount of time.

Dee
SR
Old 03-23-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know you're excited Hopscotch and I want to allow everyone the freedom to share their experience but lets remember this is a recovery site.

A thread promoting Baclofen (or anything) as any way to drink normally is really not appropriate, especially in a Newcomers forum.

Please be mindful of that folks.

Many pills have promised 'normality' - they've all made someone lots of money - but I've yet to see one deliver for any appreciable amount of time.

Dee
SR
Ok, Im sorry. Maybe I should of just posted in the Anxiety forum. Feel free to delete this thread.