Notices

gods will?

Old 03-04-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

gods will?

Was it Gods will for me to watch movies all day with my kid?

Is it God's will that I stay in my outpatient treatment program?

Is God speaking thru my therapist?
Old 03-04-2017, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Does it matter? You make decisions for yourself, free will. God to those who believe is a source of guidance and strength.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That depends on whether those actions were borne of love and selflessness, if so you are expressing your divine (true) self, if not it is most likely your ego is at play which who is by the way the same guy that got you drunk and kept you down in the first place.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is where meditation can help. It quiets the mind. Not while doing it, though, but afterward. I find I can figure out the answers to these questions a lot easier. They just sorta come to me when I'm not thinking.

Ask God these questions as a form of prayer, and hopefully the answer will come in your heart. It takes practice and discipline (of which I don't have, but when I do practice this, it works).

Regarding "is God speaking thru my therapist"-I have found that God uses other people as messengers sometimes. :-)
Old 03-06-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Centered3 View Post
This is where meditation can help. It quiets the mind......
In my haste I read that as ".....mediCATION can help...." and I almost fell out of my chair. lol.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
skg

“The apostle Paul said: “I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. . . . But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control” (Galatians 5:16-17, 22-23).

Self-control is not willpower. It is not something we get by gritting our teeth and forcing ourselves to “just say no.” Self-control is called a fruit. Fruit doesn’t instantly pop out on the tree. As the tree grows and seasons pass, the fruit naturally develops. As we continue to follow God’s guidance, taking one step at a time, our self-control will gradually grow. Our job is to stay connected to God. It is the Holy Spirit’s job to produce the fruit of self-control in our life.” The Life Recovery Bible
If your God isn't big enough, trade up...

"If you still believe you're in charge, it's night. Make it day... Come on. Chop, chop!" Teresa F., in her experience, strength and hope shared in St. Thomas, USVI, 2009.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Now what?

It's appropriate to take life and discussions and experiences at face value. Mystifying things is probably a good way to keep yourself in the dark.

If something is coming at you from 'out there' - there probably won't be a shred of doubt about it in your mind ...

I don't know that it's very wise to attribute any human characteristic outside love to God.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I believe it's Gods will for me to get healthy and stay that way - the details are left up to me. If I move out of the drivers seat and wait for him to drive I'll likely crash. He gives me a map and directions but certainly expects me to buy the gas.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My common mistakes are to avoid/refuse to do something in front of me, or run off and try to change something that's 'over there'.

The things in front of me are God's will. Thats why they're in front of me.

P
Old 03-08-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
In my haste I read that as ".....mediCATION can help...." and I almost fell out of my chair. lol.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The 11th Step tells us that we need to try to learn and do God's will on a daily basis.

It's the main focus of my morning prayers.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
skg

◄ 1 Thessalonians 5:18 ►
Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. John 13:34
Too simple to understand...
Old 03-08-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would get alone in a room and kneel. Clasp palms together and say the AA 3rd Step Prsyer, listen to the words carefully as you speak them to God (or whatever your understanding of a Creator of the Universe is). Don't complicate it. Do not try too hard.
Just let your feelings come.
How does it feel in your chest and stomach to domplsn A?
". ". ". ". ". to do plan B?

But really get into that room, close the door and try the prayer.
You'll be guided from inside of yourself, sweetheart. ❤️