Notices

Alcoholism, Mental Health and SR

Old 02-25-2017, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism, Mental Health and SR

Just wanted to follow up my last post with some additional thoughts.

I am trying to be optimistic in this new, sober life and things are going pretty good so far. The meds don't completely eliminate the anxiety, but I'm sure drinking myself to the point of blackouts for years has done a number on my brain health!!! It will probably take several more months, even a year or two for the physical healing to take place. The therapy also helps, but my therapist talks a little too much!!!!!

Just had a few things I wanted to say regarding mental health, including some common misconceptions, and also comment on the relation of alcoholism to mental health.

Even in the year 2017, there is still a big stigma when it comes to mental health. Especially in the older demographic and within certain cultures. Just because you are speaking with a therapist, does not mean you are weak or crazy! This way of looking at mental health problems is just plain wrong and is still, somehow, fairly ubiquitous. It is disturbing and destructive in the sense that those holding this opinion are more often than not mothers, fathers, etc. - they are in positions that greatly influence others who may be suffering from very crippling psychological issues that could be helped, tremendously, by regular meetings with a professional therapist (social worker or psychologist). Mental illness is not something to brush under the rug. You can’t tell someone with mental illness to “suck it up” and expect their issues to just disappear. But with the right help, the issues are addressed and can even be resolved. And, in turn, those with mental illness are able to live happy, manageable lives and don’t, for example, commit suicide or murder. Often, these tragedies are a result of untreated depression or PTSD that could have been addressed by a mental health professional.

Again, seeking help for mental illness does not mean one is weak for not dealing with his/her problems alone - it means that (s)he is wise enough to know the limitations of being HUMAN, that we aren't perfect, and that it is worthwhile to ourselves and those we care about to seek help when we have truly burdensome mental health issues.

I work in the insurance industry. Not sure how I ended up here, but it’s my job for now. At any rate, I can tell you that substance abuse falls under the mental health benefit for insurance coverage. Why is that? It’s because alcoholism IS a mental health issue. The reasons why we drink can often be identified and addressed by mental health professionals. Maybe it is anger. It could be stress or the loss and grief borne by the alcoholic after losing a loved one. We all know that alcohol is not the answer. And it does help to talk about these things. We all have family we can talk to, but mental health professionals offer a different, more objective perspective and are actually qualified to assist in resolving many of the issues that lead to drug and alcohol abuse.

If you’ve read all of this, congratulations - it was not my intention to write a novel. Just know that there is help out there, that you do not have to go it alone. If you do not have insurance or cannot afford paying for therapy with a counselor or psychologist, I understand. If this is the case, SR is a great place for support in sobriety and so are local AA meetings. Don’t be afraid to talk about your problems.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you desert... it's not always easy, but there is help out there.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still have to deal with anxiety, too. Of course, it's better without alcohol in the picture, but, the anxiety was there before the alcohol and it's still there. I am able now, to manage it fairly well most of the time. I have made lifestyle changes which help to eliminate some stress, and keeping balance in my life is very helpful for me. I hope that your anxiety becomes more manageable.