research based evidence for court motion

Old 02-23-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

research based evidence for court motion

Hi,
My attorney and I will be going to court soon to dispute STBXAH's request to discontinue sobriety monitoring. STBXAH has monitored on alternate weeks, when he has custody, for almost a year, so he claims he doesn't have a problem with alcohol.

I think that having to monitor is what keeps him from getting inebriated when he has our children. I know he continues to drink, sometimes excessively, on his non-custodial weeks. If he no longer monitors, our children will be in the unfortunate position of having to ensure their own safety when in his 'care.'

In my request, I need to substantiate the following related claims:
1) continuing to deny one's alcoholism despite all evidence to the contrary is a sign of addiction to alcohol
2) getting into recovery from alcoholism requires acknowledging it as a problem and seeking support
3) testing sober on alternate weeks does not mean one is in recovery from alcoholism

All three points are more or less truisms, yet my argument will be stronger if it's research based. I've looked at the NCADD and the Alcohol Research Group, but I haven't found what I need. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? Suggestions? I'm open to other strong evidence-based claims to support my argument, too.

BTW I'm doing so much research on this that I'm inclined to post my court motion as template for others to use . . . if it works.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm not sure you're going to find hard research to back those up. Have you considered hiring an expert witness? Someone in the treatment field? They are able to offer an opinion based on their experience treating people with alcohol addictions.