Notices

Day 3

Old 02-20-2017, 02:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3

Hi all, day three for me. This is the first time I'm ever trying to stop for real. All other times it's been "just or a few months" or making up weird rules that I haven't been able to follow.
Physically I feel ok - now. Yesterday was just awful with crazy anxiety and intense fear that I'd go into severe withdrawal (blood pressure and heartbeat was way off). I somehow managed to teach two classes (I'm proud I didn't call in sick). Today is much much better, I've been surprisingly productive and upbeat with just minor symptoms.
My main concern now is that I don't really have a plan - just stopping drinking is probably not going to work. I worry that a few weeks later, after feeling better, I'll start to convince myself that I'm not that bad, I didn't drink that much etc. You all probably been there.
I don't mind AA but closest meeting is 3 hours both directions - not really possible to go to meetings regularly. ALL my social life is connected to drinking - I barely know anyone that doesn't drink heavily and I don't know how people that don't drink hang out. I'm not in a really bad place right now but I kind of wonder; what next? What do other people do when they stop using?
Old 02-20-2017, 02:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and thanks for the share T. I strongly suggest you see a doc about physical health. You may feel worse soon and cold turkey can be unsafe- as well as being a trigger for relapse. SR is an excellent resource. If you check in the 'sticky' section (I think) there is stuff there about developing a plan. Also there are AA and SMART resources online you can access. Every day support is very important. My support to you. Perhaps join the 'Class of Feb 2017 thread'. Keep posting. WELL DONE- BRAVE TO OPEN UP. PJ
Old 02-20-2017, 03:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tonggau View Post
Hi all, day three for me. This is the first time I'm ever trying to stop for real. All other times it's been "just or a few months" or making up weird rules that I haven't been able to follow.
Physically I feel ok - now. Yesterday was just awful with crazy anxiety and intense fear that I'd go into severe withdrawal (blood pressure and heartbeat was way off). I somehow managed to teach two classes (I'm proud I didn't call in sick). Today is much much better, I've been surprisingly productive and upbeat with just minor symptoms.
My main concern now is that I don't really have a plan - just stopping drinking is probably not going to work. I worry that a few weeks later, after feeling better, I'll start to convince myself that I'm not that bad, I didn't drink that much etc. You all probably been there.
I don't mind AA but closest meeting is 3 hours both directions - not really possible to go to meetings regularly. ALL my social life is connected to drinking - I barely know anyone that doesn't drink heavily and I don't know how people that don't drink hang out. I'm not in a really bad place right now but I kind of wonder; what next? What do other people do when they stop using?
Regarding your question about what people do when they are sober - I'm 4 days clean, so I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I managed to get through the weekend by keeping myself very busy - I even went out of my comfort zone and did things I wouldn't normally do. I know that solely relying on the "distraction activities" isn't the best way to go about it, but one thing I'm starting to realise about booze is that it limits us in so many ways. Gives us tunnel-vision and stops us from seeing so many things we can do with ourselves.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by tonggau View Post
What do other people do when they stop using?
welcome

i am by nature selfish and self centered

being of service to others is the #1 contributor to my intact sobriety date