Thoughts...

Old 02-08-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thoughts...

It just hit me this afternoon that I've never had hopeful thoughts about what my son will be when he grows up. You know, the positive thoughts that go something like this -, "maybe my son will be a doctor, or a lawyer, or play sports, or help many people..." Addiction/alcoholism has been so prominent in my life all I have thought of is how my son may be negatively affected by it himself and how I will help him cope. I wonder too much about if he will struggle with alcoholism or addiction himself, if he will struggle with mental illness like both his father and I have, how badly he could be affected if he grows up in a split family, etc. My son is so intelligent for his age, and I don't doubt that he will be great. Here's to intentional, positive thoughts about the future. Thank you.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hope778,

".....I wonder too much about if he will struggle....."
as a fellow in my Nar-Anon group has said - I used to wonder too much about my daughter, now I only allow myself to wonder one much and I am a lot happier.

" My son is so intelligent for his age, and I don't doubt that he will be great." There is your answer! Just make sure that he knows how you feel.

"Here's to intentional, positive thoughts about the future." Keep at it - it will work if you work it!

I am not certain where I heard or read this quote from Will Rogers, but I have repeated it many times:

"WORRYING WORKS! I know this, because 99% of the things which I worry about NEVER HAPPEN!"

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 02-08-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimC60 View Post

"WORRYING WORKS! I know this, because 99% of the things which I worry about NEVER HAPPEN!"

Jim
I love that one, too!

Also:

"Worry is imagination misplaced"!
Old 02-09-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimC60 View Post
"I used to wonder too much about my daughter, now I only allow myself to wonder one much and I am a lot happier." // "WORRYING WORKS! I know this, because 99% of the things which I worry about NEVER HAPPEN!"
I love these, thanks! It's just crazy how much of or lives addiction/alcoholism can control if we let it. That includes thoughts of the future. Too many worrisome and fear-fueled thoughts about the future. That's not how it should be. I'm glad I realized it.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I find myself in the same thought patterns regarding my own children.

I am always reminding myself that we do all of this counseling and self work to prevent just what I am worrying about.

Hugs!
Old 02-09-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Talk to someone. Try not to focus on your stuff from the past to worry about a future that has not happened. Just cope with today. Today you are doing okay.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're right, hopeful. I am really working on myself so I can be the best mother for our son in this situation. But, (there's always a but in my mind, thats the problem!) I worry I won't be enough.Can't think that way.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Phoenix - I've been toying with the idea of talking with a therapist. I think I need to purge my mind of the past once and for all.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

H778- my memories are such they haunt me. So much destruction to myself and those I love. I do the 'what if my son's' bit. I am a 4th generation alcie. BUT- I broke the 60 years cycle. I trust my son's. They are well adapted, smart and way cool. They do not talk to me- but I trust in them for who they are. Keep up the good fight. I use EVERY thing I can to put my past where it belongs- back there, in the past. The past sucks. So it can STAY there and suck. TAKE THAT SUCKY PAST! We all stagger along with absurd thoughts and feelings. I also think once our brains wake up- they make it well known they are not happy with how we have been treating them. Stupid brain.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
The past sucks. So it can STAY there and suck.
This made me laugh. SO true!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have super' take that' (ker-pow!) sucky powers.