Notices

Day 2 - Body Aches

Old 02-06-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 - Body Aches

I am at the end of day 2, but as it is evening this is the hardest time of the day for me. I came home early from work today as I was feeling very tired and anxious at the same time, and as soon as I got home all I could think about was drinking. A few hours later, I'm feeling somewhat better but am afraid of when it gets closer to my bedtime as I usually fall asleep after 5-6 drinks, sometimes more.

I've been drinking that much maybe 4-5 days a week for a few years now. It actually was much worse around 4 years ago when I decided to drink as much as I could whenever I wanted and not worry about it. I thought I would either die, or just somehow naturally come out of it. Neither of those things happened. (This started when I lost 3 family members all within 2 years of one another and I totally lost my mind).

Now almost every time I drink I black out. This didn't used to happen. I also wake up in the middle of the night and lay in bed feeling like I'm dying until around 6-7am I fall asleep for an hour or two before I have to go to work. This never used to happen.

I wake up terrified to look at my phone to see who I called or texted. If it was a call I go crazy trying to remember what I might have said. And wondering if I sounded wasted.

I'm really really sick of this. But I'm experiencing pretty strong aches all over my body that I don't know why, go away if I drink. This never used to happen either.

I'm not giant fan of AA and tried that recently but would leave each meeting not feeling so great.

Anyway, I'm glad to find this site. If anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with this physical pain or what it might be or how long it might last, I'd appreciate any insight.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Marie, Welcome and I'm glad you're here seeking support.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will worsen until you stop drinking. Usually the physical symptoms last less than a week, but it's always a good idea to talk to your dr if you're concerned. Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.

Know for sure that things will get better as long as you stay sober. It's a good idea to come up with a plan to help you get through the early days and to help you through your recover.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi Marie, Welcome and I'm glad you're here seeking support.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will worsen until you stop drinking. Usually the physical symptoms last less than a week, but it's always a good idea to talk to your dr if you're concerned. Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.

Know for sure that things will get better as long as you stay sober. It's a good idea to come up with a plan to help you get through the early days and to help you through your recover.
^^^^^ this.

Welcome to SR, Marie; very glad you found us.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Maria

Hi Marie,
I am new here..Day 11 sober after a decade + of pretty much every day drinking after work. I drank til I blacked out/drank to sleep, to escape feelings and bad marriage, drank because I was bored, out of habit etc. etc. I woke up so many times like you..checking text/phone to see who I may have called and what I said. ..waited for my spouse/kids to wake up to see how they behaved toward me to gauge the level to which I may have messed up..again. When I would not drink/diminish the amount I would wake up at 3 a.m. with heart palpitations, the sweats etc. Withdrawals. I tried to decrease, limit, and taper. No luck. And it just got worse and worse.

It sound like your body is going through some level of physical withdrawals. I am sure you can do a search on this site for info from others. My experience and understanding is this is an uncomfortable aspect of getting the poison out of the system, but it can be dangerous so medical supervision may be required in some cases. Lots of water, nutritious/vitamin dense foods can help.

I have not had success with AA so far but I have with this site (just recently joined as well as Women for sobriety. And by reading and journaling and trying to figure our how to live with the real me without the drink. Not gonna be easy but it is gonna be worth it.

I hope you stick it out here. So far I have received a load of support which has increased my intention to stick with this no drinking thing no matter what.