Notices

Superbowl & Recovery thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Superbowl & Recovery thread

We normally have a Superbowl thread, with the focus of the thread being recovery rather than who's playing etc.

I'm probably the least qualified person ever to start this thread
but here goes:

I think if you have any doubt in your ability to stay sober, just don't go to a party.

Miss it all together.

Your AV might be screaming that's impossible, but it's really not. It;s ok to start instituting some new rules, and new traditions, in recovery

If for any reason you can't get out of a party here are a few tips cobbled from a link on Thanksgiving:

* Think ahead. Is it hard for you to be around alcohol? Be honest with yourself. Now is not a time for heroics. Keep your expectations realistic: if it is going to be too difficult, maybe this year is a time to do something different...Don't set yourself up to fail.

* If there are people at superbowl parties who trigger you, be ready. You don't have to go to every fight you're invited to .. plan what you'll say or do if someone gives you a hard time.

* Have safe people to call - program their numbers into your phone in advance, and tell them you're going to call if things get tough. If everyone around you is drinking and it starts to bring you down, talking to someone else who is sober helps you remember that you are NOT alone.

* Bring/have your own beverages. This is especially important if you're going to be around people who don't know you're sober. If you always have a drink in your hand, people won't hand you alcohol or ask if you want something to drink.

* You don't have to over explain. If someone is pressuring you to drink, be ready with an answer.

* Plan your exit in advance. If everyone is going to settle in to watch football and drink and you don't want to be part of it ... don't.

* Have an escape plan. If you can, bring your own car.

* Remember to be proud of yourself - shame and guilt are huge triggers. Give yourself credit for staying strong.

* Think about the next morning, when you'll wake up hangover-free and rested. Think about how horribly you felt the morning after drinking, and how sober you don't wake up and think, "I wish I drank last night."

* Think through the drink. If you start romancing how nice "one drink" would be, remember how many times you told yourself you were only going to have one and failed. Having one is harder than having none, because once alcohol is in your system the obsession comes alive.

* Remind yourself that Superbowl Sunday is just one day. A simple 24 hours, just like any other day. Don't put more importance on this day over any other.

* Go to bed. If the day is harder than you expected, go to bed early just to put the day to rest. Tomorrow is a new day.

* Believe in yourself. Getting sober and staying sober takes serious guts - you are brave and strong and true. If guilt, shame and remorse start talking to you, remind yourself that it's your disease sneaking in the back door. Let your sober voice ring loud and proud in your head.

* Forgive yourself for wanting to drink. Don't expect that you won't be hit with a craving; it's natural. Prepare for how you're going to handle the craving instead of berating yourself for having one.

* Be grateful.... make a gratitude list and carry it with you. Try to focus on the gifts you have in your life, all the possibilities that lie in front of you, instead of all the things you can't have. Sober, you can do anything.

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide
any other suggestions or ideas?

D

Last edited by Dee74; 02-04-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sober style

I do these alone, that's how I roll. My plan is to eat a lot of junk food snacks and drink a lot of coffee while I watch the Patriots dynasty and the GOAT qb Touchdown Tommy Brady run over the poor Falcons. This year I'm actually looking forward to halftime cause I've always liked most of Lady Gaga's hits. Bad Romance ftw. I hope she won't get too political, but even that isn't gonna bother me. It's the Super Bowl, almost as American a holiday as the 4th of July!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lol, SnazzyDresser.

I'm going to another non-drinker's house to watch the formidable Falcons steamroll over the lowly, lucky, and lethargic Patriots. However, I'll probably leave at halftime, when I'll hop on SR and use the support here to guide me to end Super Bowl Sunday sober.

How bout that alliteration? Go Falcons
Old 02-04-2017, 09:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm with Snazzy on eating some really yummy food tomorrow, however, I am hoping for an upset and want to see the Falcons take down the Evil Empire of Brady and Bellichick.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm just going to stay in. I know many AA centers are having sober parties as an option for many.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm hanging with AA friends at a house party. I'm so excited! I am usually the only sober one at a party with many folks who have over-imbibed, or in the way past I've been one of the ones over-imbibing. I'm so grateful to have found a fun sober clan of ladies to hang with. And I'm only watching for the commercials/half-time show!
Old 02-04-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Assuming you can handle it, go the party and enjoy talking to others and watching the game instead of getting loaded!
Old 02-05-2017, 02:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am not hugely into football, but do live in New England, so there will be plenty of celebrating in my neck of the woods. I think the only time in the past several years that I was sober during a superbowl was when I was pregnant! We are having a couple of family members over...there will be WAY too much food for 4 people and I plan to indulge . I'm going to make a big batch of iced coffee for myself early, so I'm ready. Go Pats!
Old 02-05-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm going to a drinkers home with two non-drinking friends. They all know I don't drink and will be supportive in the extreme. How lucky am I? I'm not a big football fan, but it will be so nice to get out of the house to a little party with good friends.

And DEE...thanks for the thread and for the great opening post of excellent ideas.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee!!!!
Old 02-05-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
waking down

I'll tell you what I'm NOT gonna do. I'm NOT gonna get hammered and laugh at the losing team until I get tossed fully clothed into a hot tub and then stumble home through the snow while my clothes freeze to my pink, goose-pimpled skin! (True story; oh, the shame.) Just another reminder I'm lucky to be alive.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm going shopping! The stores are dead on super bowl Sunday!
Old 02-05-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Kitten bowl is on right now (at least for us in CST). It is on hallmark channel.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Too cute, strat!!!!!
Old 02-05-2017, 10:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No parties for this guy. We do things sober and by ourselves and I'm fine with it.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm going to watch the Puppy bowl. There's a football game today?
Old 02-05-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
I'm going to watch the Puppy bowl. There's a football game today?
, Maudcat.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Sober People Sober Places.....

For me, cooking for the guys in my sober house... Sober Bowl !!!!
Super Bowl Sunday
Starter
Thee House Caeser with
Garlic Focaccia Croutons
Entrée
Pancetta and Mild Romano Stuffed Newman’s Ranch Pork Roast
Starch
Fluffed Saffron Rice
Vegetable
Sautéed Baby Asparagus with Béarnaise
Old 02-05-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HappyDestiny3 View Post
Sober People Sober Places.....

For me, cooking for the guys in my sober house... Sober Bowl !!!!
Super Bowl Sunday
Starter
Thee House Caeser with
Garlic Focaccia Croutons
Entrée
Pancetta and Mild Romano Stuffed Newman’s Ranch Pork Roast
Starch
Fluffed Saffron Rice
Vegetable
Sautéed Baby Asparagus with Béarnaise
Yummy!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Looking forward to a good game, La Croix, wings and dip! Looking forward to staying clear headed and genuinely enjoying the evening with my family!! No passing out or blacking out!!

Oh yeah Atlanta RISE UP!!