Notices

Karma is a B**CH!

Old 02-03-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Karma is a B**CH!

Hi there to all,

I am back again after being absent for a little while. I got to my vacation home and there were so many triggers I was overwhelmed. I held out for as long as I could and stayed sober for 12 days. Then it was my birthday.....I didn't go crazy or black out and haven't done that, but I did have some wine. There were many nights while my husband was here that he drank and had happy hour which was one of our favorite things to do together, that I didn't drink at all. So I slipped, but I've made some positive changes too. I took my husband to the Airport Sunday to return home. (This is the Karma part I was talking about) That night I started feeling awful - I have a high tolerance for pain, but this was out of control. I was up all night with severe pain. I went to the Urgent care the next morning and had some tests done. It turns out that I have a possible kidney infection and/or kidney stone. Probably a Divine intervention so I won't hurt myself while he is not with me. I am on a weeks worth of antibiotics. The Dr says if that doesn't clear things up, I probably have a kidney stone and will have to go through tests, etc. then depending on those tests, get rid of it.I'm not sure if that involves surgery, or what yet? I have been sober again since Sunday and plan to remain this way. I can't have complications like this and not take them seriously. My husband and I have decided to sell our 2nd home due to some major stress that my family causes while we are here. This is bitter sweet as we really like our little place. But when you can't relax due to the craziness of family drama, it is not worth the cost of health and cost of the place. Now I just have to break the news to my Mom..... Ugh.....This too shall pass, right? :>) I hope you all are having a good day!
Old 02-03-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the pain and I hope your kidney problem resolves itself quickly. I'm all for simplicity in life and trying to keep stress at a minimum. It's so important to support our recovery with healthy lifestyle choices.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Prayers.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Get well soon! And I think they can get rid of a lot of kidney stones using noninvasive procedures now (using sound)
Old 02-03-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

thanks Ellie and God bless

Old 02-03-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hope you get to feeling better. Kidney stones sound awful. But I get the divine intervention thing.....I'm going through something much less serious but VERY uncomfortable. Horrid actually. BUT, and this is the good part, alcohol makes it much worse. Sooooo, I now have experience with a condition that makes the thought of drinking completely repulsive. Yay. I think.....I haven't drank in almost 6 months and don't plan to. But having experienced this I will think long and hard if I ever start to ponder alcohol again. One would think detox would have been enough. Nope. This is worse.

And doesn't alcohol abuse contribute to chronic kidney issues?
Old 02-03-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of your kind responses. I will keep you updated and will be on her daily. Yes Frickaflip, I believe so. It also may be that in combination with a protein shake that I have been using daily since August. (I've stopped taking it for now until I know exactly what is going on with me. I'm just not sure, but I do know that I am not going to mess with it. We kinda need our kidneys.. :>P
Old 02-03-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang Tough Elliemae!
Make sure the doctors don't delay and that they give you the relief you need. The main thing is to resolve the kidney issues and not drink and also not get addicted to pain pills. My doctors gave me pain pills when I was having enormous pain seizures due to a bladder infection. I stopped taking them when the pain was resolved and did not become addicted. No withdrawal symptoms. Depends on the dosage and the relatively small number of days I had to do it. Anyway, if there is any danger of addiction, I'd choose pain any day rather than go through what I suffered from alcohol. Sobriety is the greatest gift of all. Good luck.

W.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

w,

no pain meds were prescribed and I don't do well with those anyway. I never have. I am allergic to them and they make me itch all over, so no fun. I haven't had a drink in 6 days and I am not planning on it. I'm serious about this sobriety thing this time. I've been playing with fire a long time, and if I'm not careful, I know I will get burned. Thanks for the advice and concern!