Notices

There's a devil on my shoulder talking to me!

Old 02-02-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

There's a devil on my shoulder talking to me!

I stopped on Jan 16th. I didn't have this until today, but something in my brain is saying "you only drink 5 or 6 anyway"... "those detox folks are usually older and in worse shape than you"... "the beer will reduce your knee pain"... "the superbowl is coming up anyway, are you going to sit there and drink water?"... "Everyone dies eventually; have fun and relax tonight, deal tomorrow."...

I know what you're doing dude. Not this time...
Old 02-02-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are smart to come here and post! What are your plans for Super Bowl? Make sure you plan ahead for drinks for you if you will be with friends.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
All is Change

As one of those older dudes : I should have pissed off that voice back then. What a waste.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smack it with hammer. Just look out for your shoulder.

Seriously, those are some pathetic lies it's telling you.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice to prepare, smart. People in my neck of the woods are going Crazy, excited to see Tom win it for the Patriots. Staying in, like I always did but I used to because I didn't want to drink n drive. Now because I don't feel like going anywhere, don't really care that much who wins.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

That yapping little liar may always pop up spewing the same pap. But that is all it can do lie and connive. No need to argue or bargain with it, just scoff at its stupidity, the tune will never change , which in a way is good , it will get so boring and easier to tune out and ignore.
It will offer temporary rewards, illusions not reality, It will plead that you are depriving yourself, trying to get you to ignore the fact that by not indulging Its desire you are giving yourself the freedom of no longer being shackled to Its miserable existence, the freedom of not being stuck in the cycle of believing the lies of consequence -free indulgence and then suffering through the all too real consequences of indulging Its fix. Stay strong , It will always lie. You got this, Rootin for ya
Old 02-02-2017, 10:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We call the "devil on the shoulder" the AV (for Addict Voice or Alcoholic Voice). It is an amazingly clever lie-whisperer!

As time passes, the voice becomes so quiet that you forget it, but then -whether in times of trouble or of celebration or of a long Tuesday at work - suddenly there's that voice again - telling you this is all just too much, too extreme.

Sometimes you argue, sometimes you ignore, & sometimes - when you're not feeling powerful - you are tricked into listening.

I have learned (& I know this isn't true for everyone here), my AV has never disappeared. It just weakens in relation to how strong I am. When I'm not taking care of myself & my happiness, it grows louder...

So, rather than counting on my ability to ignore it, I'm learning to focus on the fullness, stability, & contentment of my new self instead. So when it rises, I'm ready.

Proud of you for separating it from your central, more-true self! That's a giant move!!
Old 02-02-2017, 10:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It only gets worse.
Stay strong!
Old 02-03-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sobersolstice,

You can do this. Play music that calms you. Do not do what I did and give into this. It's not worth it and I'll tell you why. KARMA is a B***CH! It really is. We have to learn to have fun and relax and be around people who are drinking. I'm not sure how to do this, but I know there is a way. A lot of people order club and lime and it looks like a drink. I'm going to try that. I am not doing anything for Super Bowl, because I am not at my regular house this year. I wish you the best and have missed your comments on my threads. I am back now and plan to be here for good. Keep up all your hard work! You are better than that devil!
Old 02-03-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
It only gets worse.
Stay strong!
I disagree. It only gets better. Stay sober, and that devil on your shoulder will eventually quiet down. Don't give it space in your head. Take care of yourself, and as you get stronger, it will get weaker. Might never go away completely, but you can make its voice quieter and quieter and less and less frequent over time.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I disagree. It only gets better. Stay sober, and that devil on your shoulder will eventually quiet down. Don't give it space in your head. Take care of yourself, and as you get stronger, it will get weaker. Might never go away completely, but you can make its voice quieter and quieter and less and less frequent over time.
I meant the drinking only gets worse...not the recovery.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Ah, OK - Kaily. Sorry. I misunderstood.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Ah, OK - Kaily. Sorry. I misunderstood.
No problem
Old 02-03-2017, 10:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done on coming here and knowing it is your AV speaking, and how manipulative it is. Today I had to meet a friend, and was something I couldn't put off, she got herself a wine, and asked me. I had brought the car, so that I knew I could not, let alone that I would be collecting my kids at school time, and there would be dozens of children around. Yet the voice cropped up 'other people here are driving too, they are having just the one, they seem ok'.... seriously!!!! its driving with kids in the car, or even without with kids in the car is bad enough, and drink driving was probably the one thing I was most grateful I hadn't done in my previous drinking career. I had an alcohol free fruit cider with ice instead, so felt like a 'drink drink', just shows how it takes a shot at any opportunity doesn't it?!! I think its great you are recognising the distinction between your brain, and the AV voice, I think that's a big battle to win when you can separate the two. It sounds like you are doing fab!
Old 02-03-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My AV Demon Voice has consumed me, to the point of no separation between it and me. As long as you can separate the two, you're doing great; keep listening to your true self! I'm still looking for me...
Old 02-03-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're using your self awareness as a tool sobersolstice.

My AV Demon Voice has consumed me, to the point of no separation between it and me.
Balderdash

There's always a point of separation Arp - any thought of continued drinking, despite the lessons of history and the inevitable consequences, is your AV.

You can beat this. Give it a go.

D