Notices

Can we recover from alcohol brain damage?

Old 01-29-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can we recover from alcohol brain damage?

I have read extensively that alcohol indeed causes a certain degree of brain damage, particularly if one drinks during adolescence. I am 27 years old, and have been binge drinking to blackouts since I was about 13 or 14.

Am I already doomed in the sense that whatever damage I did to my brain is irreversible? Or do I have hope? I don't want to drink anymore whatever the answer is, but would love to know more about the topic.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Although permanent brain "damage" cannot always be ruled out. the brain has great recuperative and adaptive powers. Thus it can "adapt" to the absence of alcohol (sobriety) and revert back to "normalcy", that is the state it was in prior to "adapting" to alcohol. I would think that the best thing to do is to focus on sobriety. I was initially worried about brain damage but, after 28 plus years of sobriety, have more reason to be concerned about my heart than my brain. My brain seems fine (although that doesn't and shouldn't mean that everyone agrees with me) but, approaching 90, I could have a stroke any day. Real brain "damage" I would suppose!

W.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcoholism definitely causes brain damage. The brain, as I understand it, does have the ability to repair. Not to the degree that the liver does, but it does I believe. You are young. Are you having cognitive issues that prolonged abstinence doesn't seem to impact?

Have you talked to your dr about Vitamin B1? Alcoholics are often deficient and long term deficiency can play into cognitive issues, sometimes severe.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Or do I have hope?

yes, theres hope!
Old 01-29-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hopefully you have caused no permanent damage.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Luchogarza
there's no way of knowing how much damage you might have done, if any.
You may be lucky - some people are fine, regardless of how much they drank

for the rest of us, there's always hope

I had brain damage before I ever picked up a drink, and I did more damage after that....

The good news is that, it took a while, but I feel as tho I'm back to normal now (ok maybe 98%)

The brain is very adaptive

D
Old 01-29-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Heard of liver, heart, pancreas, kidneys, gall bladder, even spleen being affected by drinking but other than a stroke or "wet brain" i have never heard of a medical professional worrying over damage an individual may have done to the brain as an organ through drinking. But I'm not a doctor so go get it checked out.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ask for a CT scan or an MRI if you can afford it. I am now on vitamin B1 permanently because of possible damage.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=ElianL;6312349]Heard of liver, heart, pancreas, kidneys, gall bladder, even spleen being affected by drinking but other than a stroke or "wet brain" i have never heard of a medical professional worrying over damage an individual may have done to the brain as an organ through drinking. But I'm not a doctor so go get it checked out.[/QUOTE

Wet brain is severe brain damage. Alcoholic dementia. Werneckes. That is when one is very far gone.....yes, the brain is very much affected by alcohol abuse.