Drug testing my partner but still showing positive

Old 01-29-2017, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drug testing my partner but still showing positive

Hi new to all of this
my partner has been using on and off for 15 years but back in sept his father and step mum died which lead to his addiction getting worse!

He was using upto 10 grams up until about 6 weeks ago when it went to 1 gram of what he calls pure every other day

He's been clean for 7 days but the urine test still shows positive?

Can long term use take longer to leave the system ?

It's making me so paranoid and anxious that he's still lying? Help!
Old 01-29-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi and welcome. sorry for your troubles.

i'd suggest you trust the test, not the addict. you don't say what drugs he was taking, but "most" are out of the system pretty quickly - 2-3 days.

i guess it's time to think hard about why with clear evidence, you are still doubting, wondering, confused.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and thank you for reply,
He has been using cocaine and I looked online it said can be upto 25 days for long term users but wanted to know if anyone had had the same thing?
He's not displayed any signs that would suspect he had been using just so confused
Don't want to push him into using again by accusing him if he is telling the truth.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrsc23 View Post
wanted to know if anyone had had the same thing?
Yeah, mine showed positive for cocaine several weeks after he supposedly quit, and swore up and down that the test was wrong. It wasn't. As we say, "more will be (or in his case, was) revealed."

Addicts lie and manipulate. They are very good at it.

Like Anvil said, it might be time for you to look at yourself, and why you choose to not believe what the drug test is telling you.

Originally Posted by Mrsc23 View Post
Don't want to push him into using again by accusing him if he is telling the truth.
If he uses, he has made the choice to use. Not sure why you think it would be your fault......
Old 01-29-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well therein lies the problem with testing a loved one.

the TEST says positive.
HE says he's not using.
YOU are confused.

however, if the test had said NEGATIVE. you'd still be doubting.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anvil you are right, I feel like I'm always trying to find the excuse for him as part of me doesn't want to believe that he would lie again after promising he wouldn't!
Old 01-29-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fifteen years is a very long time for an addiction to any substance, let alone heroin. How many years of that have you spent trying to manage it for him?

A really valuable thing I learned on this board is, "You didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it." Are there any NA-anon meetings where you live? Education and support can be lifesavers in this situation. I wish I had know about that when dealing with my alcoholic exes...it would have saved me years.

Sending you a hug.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Aries we have been together for 6 years and it first come to light about a tart or so into our relationship. He did manage to stop a few years back for about 5 and half months and then went back to a few times a month and then when his dad died was when he reached the worst he had been!
We are in the uk and he has a key worker at a group called star which offer counselling group meetings and 1-1. I just don't feel like I can give up on him yet. He's the nicest person he's just an addict aswel ��
Old 01-29-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was thinking about counseling for you? Not sure if that's what you meant.

The only person you can control is you. Having support as you navigate this is really important. I hope you'll stay on the board...you'll see how sadly common this situation is and get all kinds of good info and support here.