Notices

Thinking about quitting cigs

Old 01-16-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thinking about quitting cigs

Seems like the more clear headed I get, the more I'm wanting to rid myself of ALL bad habits. 1st to go was the drinking. 2nd was getting out of my toxic/codie relationship. Now I think cigs are on deck. I'm not sure what it is but, in the past few days food taste better(normally i wouldn't be able to eat so soon after a breakup) and cigarettes taste horrible after the first 'drag'. I've found myself putting them out about 3/4 of the way through all day today. I guess I'm at least turning 1 cig into 3 now. Does my taste coming back have to do with my not drinking? Not looking for medical advice, just experience. I was thinking today that I'd call Feb 1 my quit day but, I don't think I'll make it that long.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its awesome that you're wanting to quit the ciggies & it sounds like your body is signalling to you that its time.. I found when i gave up ciggies my taste came back & couldnt believe how awesome fresh fruit/veges tasted... I cant comment on tasting after quitting alcohol as I have never noticed that happening..
I suggest reading Allan Carrs quit smoking book, its great..
Old 01-16-2017, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

i quit in my 1st year

go for it!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just do it!

My Cigarette, My Friend?

Joel Spitzer's Quit Smoking Library

WhyQuit.Com

Never Take Another Puff!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Honestly, if cigs are tasting gross, treat this as a blessing and stop!! I'm guessing you're only smoking 3/4 of them out of habit and because you keep thinking the next puff will taste normal?! Don't go looking for it!!! And I'm saying this as a smoker. Since I've quit drinking my smoking has increased (I never could stomach smoking during a hangover) That's my next battle.
As far as taste, I haven't noticed a big difference but I'm on a weight loss program and nothing tastes awesome! haha I did quit smoking once for a month though and my tastebuds exploded!!! If you think food tastes good now, quit smoking and hold onto your seat!

Old 01-16-2017, 09:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I am simply smoking out of habit at this point. Did a rough estimate a few minutes ago, at the advice of one of my long time friends,who's also in sobriety for around 5yrs now. WOW! I've been spending $20k+ yearly on three 'bad' habits. Three things that were/are hurting me mentally and physically, I've been paying for..That's a real eye opener! I guess that's why my sponsor said NOT to make any large purchases with my 'new found' money for at least the 1st year..
Old 01-16-2017, 11:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's really great that you want to quit smoking, you can do it! I quit for 2 months several years ago, during which I realized just how bad smoking smells to non-smokers.

I am new to alcohol recovery and initially thought about kicking it too but didn't want to suffer two withdrawals at once. Now I think smoking is something I need to hold onto as a habit since I don't have my alcohol habits. Once I start replacing new healthier habits in my life I would like to challenge kicking smoking eventually, maybe feb-mar, but definitely before April (adding $2 tax / pack in CA then)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend quitting the smokes as well.
I did both cigs and booze at once.

My taste buds thanked me as did my lungs.

Good luck

D