Notices

Functional alcoholic

Old 01-08-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Functional alcoholic

This is my day 8! I guess I am telling my story to get it all out there and see similar experiences.
I have always been a "functional" alcoholic. I never lost my house job or anything I cared about. I have an alcoholic father who was abusive and my brother who also is an addict. I am married to a normal drinker who does not understand the addiction and suffering. I have tried to be honest with her but it is difficult. I have kept myself out of jail and have always had a great job. But I have always felt inadequate and below everyone. I'm sure me feeling different than everyone has contributed to my alcoholism but I am taking responsibility for for my actions and this disease. Even though this is my thousandth time trying this I am giving this on my all. I am experiencing health problems due to my drinking never want another day 1 again.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on getting sober and your eight days sober so far. Keep going, it gets better.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JWS

Remember, we didn't get sick overnight so we won't get well fast either. Some days will feel better than others.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Welcome & Congrats on your 8 days!

Severe liver pain & walking black outs drove me to quit drinking. Once I stopped pouring alcohol down my throat I was able to work on everything else. -

Best wishes on your journey!
Old 01-08-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking. I had poor self-esteem too and that is something that contributed to my drinking. Ironically, alcoholism destroyed the self-esteem I had and made things worse. I hope that you continue to read and post.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. I come from an alcoholic family, and for many years I thought drinking was my genetic destiny. Not so. That was just me telling me it was okay to drink. Once I figured that out, sobriety got easier. Congratulations on your sober time!
Old 01-08-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're not alone. I also have an alcoholic father (and mother!) who were both abusive growing up. My eldest brother struggles as well. You don't have to relive what your parents did. I have finally realised that! I would be described as a functional alcoholic. I own a business, have my own house, drive a nice car etc. I have won new clients with my head throbbing from a hangover! Imagine how much we'll be able to do sober

I've always felt like I'm not quite good enough as well - like I'm a fraud that is going to get found out, and everything I've earned will be taken away from me. What we need to understand though, is that alcohol is a depressant and makes those feelings 100000 times worse. I feel so much better, and more positive already (I'm on day nine).
Old 01-08-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you are here with us.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You and I have a lot in common, anon! I'm also on day 8, married to a normal drinker, and have been lucky enough to avoid legal, marital, and career trouble (which I know would have eventually become a reality had I decided not to stop).

I was also what is known by some as a "functioning alcoholic", but my take on that is similar to a joke that Robin Williams (RIP) once told during a routine on alcoholism:

"You can do it [function]...just not as well as all the rest of them, really"

Sending lots of good wishes your way as you, too, start your journey.

ABW1
Old 01-09-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR fatboyanon
Old 01-09-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 8!

I never had any issues with losing things that were important to me or getting into trouble. I mean, saying or doing embarrassing things? sure. But nothing truly important. I also have an alcoholic (though mostly sober now) father and mother who loves pills, and my sister struggled with addiction for years as well, although she's doing good now.

Glad you've decided to change your path in life though! Sober life is definitely good life if you ask me.